Monday, October 1, 2012

Day 6: "To You I Will Lift Up My Voice"

Day 6: "To You I Will Lift Up My Voice"

Read: Psalm 123

I am expecting three young boys any time now. My wife and I host the children in our home from about 6:30 am until we walk them to the bus stop at 9 am. When these very young and rambunctious boys enter our home, the first order of business in their lives is to make noise dropping book bags, back packs on the floor, stomping their feet running into the kitchen and raising their not so tiny voices in a rousing chorus of "Good Morning Uncle Tom!" "Where is the dog?" "I'm hungry!" while the wife sleeps.

After much hushed conversation I have tried to communicate with these wonderful boys, the joy of quiet play, at least until I wake up my wife. In a hushed voice I have tried so many approaches to communicating this simple message: In our household there is one inescapable, much sought after desire at 6:30 am - and that is there will only be hushed and whispered tones of thunder. Play -- yes, quietly. Talk quietly -- I can only pray about. Sometimes I have found myself communicating this message in a more direct authoritative face to face manner. With varying rates of quiet success.

You can communicate with people of all age groups in many many ways. However the message is not always received in the same spirit in which it was delivered. You can try talking loudly above the noises of playing children. You can try shouting above the crashing din of pots and pans and Sunday afternoon football games fixing a meal. You can hammer the side of your fist against the wall and knock over someone's drink on their lap to get their attention to quiet down. All effective techniques when they are strategically used to maximum benefit. Still, the best way is by face to face.

The same goes when you are trying to communicate with God through a time of prayer. Though you cannot talk above a thunderstorm, though you cannot shout above the crashing din of the universe, though you have no wall upon which to slam the side of your fist, though there is no drink to knock off the table onto God's lap, you can still communicate with God in person. You can still 'lift up' your voice to the one who you hope has a better answer to how to quiet things down in your life. You are allowed to communicate however you loudly or quietly as you want - God hears! Prayers are an awesome means of face to face communication, so lift up your voices!

Lord; whether it is in the quiet hush of the blowing wind or over the din of of a noisy life, let me lift up my voice to you. I know that when I am talking to You through my prayers that You will always hear me. Over the crashing din of the universe, You will always bend Your ear close to me to hear my still small voice and quietly answer me. Your quiet voice, Your hushed whisper from an eternity away shall bring peace to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0NJmgTkFd8

No comments:

Post a Comment