Monday, October 8, 2012

Day 13: About The Relevance of Our Pride?

Day 13: About The Relevance of Our Pride?

Read: James 4:1 - 10, 1 Samuel 9:1 - 2

And so with more pride than 10,000 peacocks Saul entered the world stage. With even more reason to be boastful than those very same 10,000 peacocks, did the complete irrelevance of our pride take its place, seated at the right hand of the throne of Saul. One of the problems with pride is that there is always going to be someone who can top you. They will run faster, jump higher, win more, be more beautiful, tell a funnier story, receive more applause and go one step farther than you did. Even if no one beats your record in your lifetime, someone eventually will. Welcome: King David!

But an even greater problem with pride is that it puts you in opposition against God. There is only one who can receive glory, and when we try to steal some of His glory for ourselves, as Saul found out, Saul's greatest source of relevance - his pride - became the source of his greatest irrelevance. What was so relevant while he was standing tall, lost everything the moment Saul rudely found himself and his pride flat on his backside. Sometimes, in the great scheme of our lives we assign to ourselves a higher level of relevance. So God sends us reminders of what pride does and what pride says so we recognize it in ourselves and get rid of it before we fall backwards.

THE RELEVANCE OF OUR PRIDE SAYS . . .
1. “I am not responsible for the turmoil in my life. It’s not my fault.” (vs. 1)
2. “If you don’t contribute to the meeting of my desires, then I will walk all over you. I might even destroy you.” (vs. 2a)
3. “I don’t need to ask God for anything. I’m self-sufficient.” (vs. 2b)
4. “I’ll use God to get what I want, but don’t expect any commitment out of me.” (v.3)
5. “If I don’t get what I want, then I’m leaving.” (vs. 4)
6. “I’m going to have complete control over my life.” (vs. 5)

BUT THE RELEVANCE OF OUR GOD SAYS . . .
“I stand against, fight, will stop, will trip up and cause to fall those who are proud, arrogant, self-sufficient. But I will give to you my Grace, I will always strengthen you, help, befriend, and encourage the ones who know and admit that they are totally dependent on me and are willing to choose to do things my way.” (verses 6 - 10)

Lord, whether you choose to be hard or gentle with me, please please please remind me of my true place of relevance in Your heart and within your great kingdom. Amen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E0Js7_u97g

No comments:

Post a Comment