Friday, October 19, 2012

Day 24: Today May Be The Day - Be On Guard!

Day 24: Today May Be The Day - Be On Guard!

Read: Mark 13:24 - 37 (NASB)

She'll be here, my Mom would tell me, so stop being all nervous about it! "Just be patient!" she would exhort me. I would settle down for a little while, look out of my large living room window again, I would look both ways several times then go running back into the kitchen where Mom was fixing lunch or dinner and I would look at her all over again and one more time I would frantically and ask her "Where's Grandma?" "She promised she would be here -- Mom, where is she?!?" I always looked forward to the days when my Grandma visited from Florida. She always had something nice. Every year she had special presents. One year I got a coconut which I still treasure.

I remember my three sisters and I would frantically race from one bathroom to the next to try to be the first one to get all spiffed up for her. I was at somewhat of a disadvantage because I always had to wait a little longer to have Mom tie my necktie. It was look and ask and look and ask as we all took turns to watch for Grandma's car. Finally it happened, four young children looked out the living room window and saw the object of their great desires: Grandma's car pulled into our driveway. Smiles were plastered all over our faces as we all rushed the front door and battled to see who would be the first to open it to run out in a great rush seeing Grandma again.

Many dates have been proposed for the return of Jesus Christ. Many have come and many have gone. I suspect that many more are lingering on the horizon awaiting the same fate as all the others. We simply don’t know when that day will come. And it may come for you or me before the final day arrives. It may even be sooner than we all believe. Today may even be that momentous day. The fact is, Jesus did not know when He was coming back - Just the Father alone. Since we have no idea when the Lord will return, Jesus gives us the better plan: “Be on guard! Be alert!” Rather than worrying about that day, Jesus tells us "Today may be the day - Be on guard be alert.

There are many tasks that God places before us. In the church and in life God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, also those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those who are blessed with gifts of administration, those blessed with abundance of spiritual fruits to come along side to be encourager's and exhorter's of the faith, there are builders and movers to engage in the process of placing firm foundations beneath our feet. We are called to attend to our duties, each to his own assignment. We are given a task so that we can just do it. He calls each of us to participate in His salvation plan.

Let Us Pray: Eternal God, it is not for us to be privy to the moment when Your Son will come back to claim what is rightfully His. Give us the grace to just move on with our lives, serving Your kingdom, building spiritual foundations and so very much more. Let us be the one's to keep our eyes toward the heavens, our hands and feet firmly planted on the ground, thoroughly rooted in Your sacred Word's of truth. Guide us along the paths you will have us to tread, asking, seeking, knocking and transforming many hearts many lives for the sake of Your kingdom on earth as in heaven above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgI_R_q5sDI
People Get Ready by Misty Edwards Dance
www.youtube.com
Dance performed at the opening night of the RLCI conference at Resurrection Life Church in Grandville, MI Check out a different performance of

No comments:

Post a Comment