Sunday, September 30, 2012

Day 5: Listening Through God's Ears

Day 5: Listening Through God's Ears

Read: Isaiah 49:1 - 7

When some one does something to you people tell you to look at them the way Jesus looks at them. I am pretty sure you have heard that taught to you more than a few times. However, now I am going to ask you to consider something a bit more radical. See them the way Jesus looks at them - Absolutely! Now take it a step further and hear them and listen to them as God does. The eyes are a truly wonderful way to see and sense what is around you. But that is not the only sense that serves this way. The blind person who cannot see what is before him tries harder to hear and listen.

Hear what God hears. Hear who God hears. Listen to what God listens to. Listen to whom God listens. I guess it is kind of an odd thing to try and hear what God hears. I mean God hears everything and everyone while we are limited only to our immediate surroundings, to what is in front of us or what makes a sound loud enough to wake up the dead - like our alarm clocks every morning or the inconsiderate soul at 3 am in the morning who honks his horn or blares his radio rousing you from your slumber. God hears the coast land as the seas roar and the waves crash against the rocks. He hears these from the highest, furthest reaches of eternity. He hears your heart too.

'Listen to me, O coast lands, pay attention, you peoples from far away! The Lord called me before I was born, while I was in my mother’s womb he named me. He made my mouth like a sharp sword, in the shadow of his hand he hid me; he made me a polished arrow, in his quiver he hid me away. And he said to me, “You are my servant, Israel, in whom I will be glorified.”' (Isaiah 49:1 - 3)

God’s Servant is the speaker in verses 1-5. Listen to Me, O Coast lands, And pay attention, you peoples from afar. The Lord called Me from the womb; from the body of My mother He named Me. Just like the Lord Almighty, the one speaking summoned the islands or continents (Isaiah 41:1) and those peoples distant from God to listen (Isaiah 46:3) to Him because of His special "calling" from the Lord. Isaiah 49:1-3 reminds us that every servant of God’s is to be listening like the coast lands, hearing each other, ministering to each other because God has taken the initiative to: Select them as a servant, to prepare them as a servant, to live as showcases of God’s love.

Let us Pray: Teach me to listen, O God, to those nearest me, my family, my friends, my co-workers. Help me to be aware that no matter what words I hear, from whom ever I hear it, the message is, “Accept the person I am. Listen to me.” Teach me to listen, Holy Spirit, for your voice — in busyness and in boredom, in certainty and doubt, in noise and in silence. From the distant Coast Lands Teach me, Lord, to listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV5iZBTNYrk&feature=g-vrec
The Stand - Hillsong
www.youtube.com
The Stand - Hillsong The full lyrics are in the video. ---------------------------------------- I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned In awe of The O...

No comments:

Post a Comment