Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Day 15: The Relevance Of God In Our Homes.

Day 15: The Relevance Of God In Our Homes.

Read: Joshua 24:15 - 18

This morning my heart is being softened by the thought of home. Home is where the heart is. Home is where when we were born our parents brought us to begin our long journey through this life. Where we were fed. Where we were nurtured and raised. Where we had our meals, our birthday parties, our sleep overs. A place to rest our heads at the end of the day and so very much more than that. Our parents home was our first dwelling place. God began human existence with a marriage and a family. The very first community that God established was of a family and a home.

Today, I have my own home where I can live with my wife and help raise her cousins children. I can care for her as she deserves and provide what measures of comfort that I can that she too can call this her home. In the greatest scheme of things there can never be anything quite like a home that is shared with someone that you love. It just does not get any better than that. A home, a wife, children to make it complete. But, I am trying to bring my own relevance to what I have been truly blessed with. The true relevance of where my home and my families heart is comes only from God.

The Israelites spent 400 long and tortuous years in the house of slavery. They cried out to God for a home of their own. Through Moses, God delivered them from the house of this savage bondage. And now, Joshua was reminding them of the of where their home was now and who brought them there. Joshua 24:15 "Now if you are unwilling to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, .... but as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua made a choice for his home. His choice was for his household to serve one God only, to worship one God only. A choice of faithfulness. Regardless of the choices of others Joshua, Joshua’s wife and children knew which way God would lead them. Choose Him who'll bless your home.

The challenges of Joshua’s day are no less than those we live among today. We have to choose to live according to God’s design for us IN OUR HOMES and FAMILIES. The salvation of our homes is of paramount importance. We cannot save our families only God can. But we can build in our homes what God has given us the design of and that is a home that always points our families to Jesus, the Savior. The children will come to make their own choices one day - but we must point them in the right way.

Lord, Bless my home with your eternal presence. Let this day and ever day be one where the first and only choice to start our days is "As for me and my house .... we will bless the Lord who gave us our home. As for me and my house we will serve the One who has already built our eternal home and will one day return to take us there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knuHDPbE5es&feature=g-vrec
Matthew West - Strong Enough

No comments:

Post a Comment