Thursday, October 18, 2012

Day 23: What Makes God Smile?

Day 23: What Makes God Smile?

Read: Genesis 6:1 - 9:17, Psalm 14

What makes me smile? What makes us smile? What makes God smile? Does God smile? As a newly minted husband I’ve smiled many times as I’ve watched my wife do almost anything. I love my wife and I my heart just leaps into those opportunities to watch her have fun doing something she enjoys. I’ve smiled as she has done something very pleasing to me, or has given me a small gift that she either picked out or created with her arthritic thumbs. I have smiled when I’ve watched her work hard to accomplish something of great importance in her life and in her ministry. I like to smile at my wife very much. It brings much happiness to this foolish heart.

I like to believe that as we smile about our families or friends, for various reasons, so God smiles over us and we can learn what can bring more smiles to God’s face. There’s an ancient Biblical example that helps us in this and points us toward some of the activities that will cause God’s pleasure to beam forth toward us. This is not for to get something more from God than what he is already giving, but is simply for us to be doing and growing and maturing, in response to God’s grace, so that like a parent watches their children grow we’re doing more to bring a smile to God's face. We want to please others, to watch others be happy, we really want to see smiles.

There was a time when only one man, of all that lived on earth, pleased God. That man was Noah. We find the beginning of the story of Noah in Genesis 6, and the background to his story. There were two groups: One group- mostly made God upset and greatly saddened. However, Noah brought pleasure to God. This is where we want to be, as individuals who bring pleasure to God. As we do this, do you know what will be happening? We’ll be living more in line with God’s desires and, through that living, we will be living in respectful reverence toward God who is our Father.

God received pleasure from him and decided that he would start over with only his family so he brought the flood. From this we have the rainbow and God's eternal covenant that man should go on living. I enjoy living and, I believe, you do, too. We’re alive because Noah pleased God and God made the rainbow that we may always smile at something beautiful. This is important for each of us to understand. Our life can make a great difference. Because you live and please God, there WILL be others who live- inside or outside your family, there will be others who, through our smile will enter life through Jesus who will smile too for your pleasing God.

Let Us Pray: Lord, what one more thing today may I do for You and the sake of Your kingdom that will bring a smile to Your face?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxC_XPgGsmM

No comments:

Post a Comment