Monday, October 15, 2012

Day 20: Practicing God's Shalom

Day 20: Practicing God's Shalom

Read: Philippians 4:8 - 9

In the game of life there are certain well known phrases that serve to keep us grounded, that keeps us from taking off into the loftiness of our egos. 'Practice what you preach' is just such a phrase. I can remember vividly the times when my Mom would over hear me having a conversation with my siblings - "If you want this you should be doing that because I do it that way all the time." My Mom would tap me on the shoulder, I would look up at her -- she would point her finger in some direction and tell me to go 'do it' exactly the same way I was telling my sisters. Uh Um Okay?!?

Shalom is a Hebrew word meaning peace, completeness, and welfare and can be used a polite greeting between two or people to mean both hello and goodbye. it can refer to either peace between two parties especially that between God and mankind. It may likewise refer to the well-being, welfare or safety of an individual or a group of individuals. Shalom, is a universally understood term that draws a large circle around the whole of our lives to emphatically say there is great joy, there is peace. There is an absence of conflict. Overall, there's an overwhelming sense of 'complete'.

So, Paul puts out there for His readers those things for us to ponder as we practice being complete in God. When we deliberately take the time to separate ourselves from the circle of our current lives, who we really are in the 'worldly' sense, to draw a new circle of our life practicing "God's Shalom. Paul writes for his readers a series of personal reflections that we ought to be praying and meditating over. Each of these reflections taken individually and then as a 'complete' group serves to draw us inward toward the center of all things Shalom 'complete' where The God of Shalom is found.

Call it God's Shalom of Spiritual Discipline: Recommended By God Himself for right relationship with Him. The Daily Recommended Practice of 'God's Shalom: Meditate on these things for a time and a season:

1. "whatever is true"
2. "whatever is honorable"
3. "whatever is right "
4. "whatever is pure"
5. "whatever is lovely"
6. "whatever is commendable, of good repute"
7. If there is any excellence and anything worthy of praise that empowers you .......

Keep on doing the things that you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, and the God of (SHALOM) peace will be with you. (Philippians 4:9)

Let us pray: Lord, Bring me now into the deep silence of your presence. I give you my body and ask that it may become your dwelling place. This moment may every part of my being be at peace. Let my heartbeat be in harmony with your heartbeat let every part of my body be filled with your Spirit. Fill me now with your stillness with the Shalom of your living presence. Draw me close to You into that place of Rest.

http://www.youtube.com/user/howlegh1?v=m4xLq_ssMKQ&feature=pyv&ad=9493495233&kw=near+to+the+heart+of+god

No comments:

Post a Comment