Monday, October 29, 2012

Day 34: Honor Me With Your Body

Day 34: Honor Me With Your Body

Read: 1 Corinthians 6:19 - 20

First off ....

Allow me to offer up my most sincere heartfelt regrets and most humble of apologies. This mornings devotional offering comes straight from the Devotional book "Listening To God" by Bruce Bickel. Being in the midst of this 'perfect storm' called Sandy, The once broken now surgically repaired bones in my body are deeply uncomfortable.

God is speaking directly to us as though He was standing directly in front of us:

"I'm going to tell you something you already know: your culture is obsessed with sex, and not in a good way.

This is nothing new. Ever since the Fall, when sin entered the world, people have been distorting this beautiful gift I designed for a husband and wife to enjoy in their marriage. What's new is the ever - increasing temptation.

When you face sexual enticements, I want you to remember two things. First, It's not a sin to be tempted. Only when you give in to the temptation do you sin against me. Second, you don't have to fight the temptation alone. I am there with you through the Holy Spirit.

In fact, here's a good way to keep your body and your heart pure: think of the whole self as my dwelling place. Every time you're tempted sexually, imagine that I am there right with you. Do you want me to see what you see? Do you want me to hear your thoughts? Do you want me to know what you are experiencing? Of course you don't.

Let me help you. When you are tempted, call on me. I will help you to honor me with your body."

19 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, which you have from God, and that you are not your own? 20 For you were bought with a price; therefore glorify God in your body. (1 Corinthians 6:19 - 20 NRSV)

No comments:

Post a Comment