Friday, February 22, 2013

Day 150: Where There Is A Will, There Is Always A Way

Day 150: Where There Is A Will, There Is Always A Way

Read: 2 Peter 3:9 - 18

I would like to talk to you for just a few minutes today upon a subject simply entitled, “Where There is a Will, There is always a Way.” On my mind in particular is verse 9: 'Now the Lord is not slow about enacting His promise - slow is how some people want to characterize it—no, He is not slow but He is patient and merciful to you, not wanting anyone to be destroyed, but wanting everyone to turn away from following his own path and to turn toward God’s.' Peter is writing to us in this teaching that no matter what we do, where we come from or where we’re at, that it is NOT God’s will for anyone of us to perish or to die without His forgiveness, but that we would repent, God's will and ours becoming 1.

I believe it necessary today to spend a little time looking into what Peter is talking about. The past two days we have been considering some of life's very toughest of adversaries - those of pride and fear. Somewhere in the back of my mind I can hear the voices being raised against me saying: "you are expressing it as though that by a flick of the switch, I can just be done with my pride and I can be done with my fear." I spent some time yesterday considering that and the first thing I will do is to validate
that impression of how my devotion was written and can be legitimately interpreted. I freely admit to you that by God's will there is an immediate way. Man, not so much! Where there's our will there is Ugh.

The scripture teaches allot about repentance. We are taught by Paul, “To repent, be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ, for the remission of sins, and we shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.” (Acts 2:38) Jesus taught that “Repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.” (Luke 24:45) In addition Luke records, “That except you repent, you shall all likewise perish.” (Luke 13:3). The Bible talks too much about repentance to block it out, rather
over the course of time we should look into it and see what it’s all about. If you will notice there are no specific time frames given. God understands it will take us time. That's why there's God's time and ours.

The word repentance means to have a change of mind, a change of heart, to have Godly sorrow for one’s actions and to decide to change. One definition says to go in a new direction. I like that. That implies we may be going in the wrong direction!!! In our Scripture text we read how that it wasn’t God’s will for man to perish, but that he would have everlasting life through repentance. Put the two of these together. Think about this for a moment. Ask yourself: "How long will it take before MY will realizes it is going in the wrong direction - months or even years maybe?" God only knows the answer. But one day there'll be a crossroad meeting with God's Will. Yes, One day soon 2 wills will become 1!

Let Us Pray: Lord, if what I seek be according to our will, then let it come to pass and let success attend the outcome. But if not, my God, let it not come to pass. Do not leave me to my own devices, for you know how truly unwise I can be. Keep me safe under your protection Lord my God, and in your own gentle way guide me toward the truth and patiently shepherd me through my life as only You know best. Amen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6HIUxcccZg

No comments:

Post a Comment