Monday, February 18, 2013

Day 146: The Lord Will Set My Heart Free!

Day 146: The Lord Will Set My Heart Free!

Read: Psalm 119:25 - 32

"Incoming!" "Hurry, get down" “Hit the dirt! Take cover!” Those are words spoken by someone on the defensive. You’d expect soldiers to shout such things. Bullets are flying. Explosions are going off, hot shrapnel is going every which way. People in a panic screaming. “Hit the dirt!” And so down go the soldiers, and the civilians laying low because they are on the move. They’re protecting themselves. Then there are those soldiers and civilians who have “hit the dirt” because they themselves have been hit. They aren’t on the defensive. They aren’t protecting themselves anymore. They’re defenseless and vulnerable. Pray, please tell me, where is this battlefield? "Pray tell Me, O Man, where is this battlefield?"

Is it some remote region of Afghanistan or somewhere else that's afflicted by war and combat? Is it in one of the neighborhoods we live in, our own nations streets? In one of our nations schools, movie theaters or other public place? Could be, but not this time. This time the field of battle is located in three places - me, myself and I. It is localized, inside anyone of us, your neighbors, your friends, your co-workers. Yes, if you have a heart, a soul or a spirit, it is anywhere and everywhere all at the same time - at least this is what the Psalmist seems to imply with this very personal plea. From within a soul's wounded heart: (25) 'My very being clings to the dust; preserve my life, in keeping with Your word.'

Preserve my life, he writes. Preserve my heart, my soul my spirit O Lord in keeping with Your word. Incoming! "Hurry, get down!" "Hit the dirt!" O my innermost being, "Take cover!" O my soul, it is time for us to eat the dust and dirt of the ground from whence we came! Our lives are being constantly assailed from all directions, there are explosions of personal anguish are coming from everywhere and anywhere. My entire body is being wounded, the shrapnel of life's demands, my children, my job,
my banker, my candlestick maker are puncturing holes everywhere. Big ones and large gaping one's. My life is being poured out. There is only one truly safe place. But where can this possibly be for me?

Suddenly, from outside the great din of my battle come these assuring words: Hit the dirt, hurry, get on your knees! Now plant your face to the ground! "Good! Now, my son, you are right where I need you to be!" Now, My child, eat no more dust nor dirt. Now, My child, listen to me and eat your fill of my words which brings and restores all life. My afflicted child, I know all your sorrows. Your heart grows weary when you or someone is confronted by great and constantly overwhelming challenges. Your soul is burdened, the weight on your shoulders are unbearable. Open your heart to me My child, to your heavenly Father, Surrender yourself to the promise of My Living Word!" "Surrender Your life to Me."

Let Us Pray: "Amazing grace! How sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me! I once was lost, but now am found; was blind, but now I see. 'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear, and grace my fears relieved; how precious did that grace appear the hour I first believed. Through many dangers, toils, and snares, I have already come; 'tis grace hath brought me safe thus far, and grace will lead me home. The Lord has promised good to me, his word my hope secures; he will my shield and portion be, as long as life endures. Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail, and mortal life shall cease, I shall possess, within the veil, a life of joy and peace. When we've been there ten thousand years, bright shining as the sun, we've no less days to sing God's praise than when we first begun." Amazing Grace, John Newton 1779

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7goz3PWiJKs
Passion 2007 - Amazing Grace (My Chains Are Gone)
www.youtube.com
from Passion 2007, held in Atlanta, Georgia on January 1st - 4th. This is Chris Tomlin leading

No comments:

Post a Comment