Saturday, February 9, 2013

Day 137: Be Good For Something: The Pursuit Of God's Wisdom!

Day 137: Be Good For Something: The Pursuit Of God's Wisdom!

Read: Proverbs 1:1 - 7

There is a simple and basic premise to life that I believe everyone can agree with. It is that everyone starts out wanting to be good at something and for something. It is foundational to who we are as a human being and absolutely essential for a positive self esteem. We all want to be able to hold our head high. We all want our steps to be taken in a fashion that says "I am confident", "I am somebody", "I am successful." "I am good at what I do," and "I have a place in this world." Yes, my fellow readers, that is usually where everyone and their very best of intentions starts. Then reality is suddenly that brick wall that plants itself unceremoniously in our path then: SMACK!!! Reality sometimes will hurt you.

Many want to be good at something in their life but the greatest way to be good for something is to attain wisdom. Wisdom is defined by the Bible as that which is true and right combined with good judgment. So now let us take a look at the look at the lighter side of wisdom: "Good judgment always comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." "Letting the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than putting it back in." "If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try
ordering somebody else’s dog around." "If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging". "Quickest way to double your money? You might try Folding it back into your wallet!"

When I say the word “wisdom” many ideas pop into the minds of those who hear this profound word. Children might tell you wisdom is: "Don’t flush the john when your dad’s in the shower." "Don’t ever be too full for dessert." "Don’t pick on your sister when she’s holding a baseball bat." "Never try to baptize a cat, they get wild." And I guess my personal favorite might be "Listen to your brain. It has lots of information." Of course kids will always have a marvelously simple way at looking at what wisdom is. Today, why not do something for yourself. Jot down some of those tiny wisps of wisdom you have learned from your parents, children, from your life experience. What do they tell you about yourself?

From the Book of Proverbs I have learned that I can never have enough wisdom on my own to deal with all those random brick walls that suddenly drop hitting my face. Been there done that and the wisest thing I learned is that my nose will break before the wall moves one inch. When I turned to Proverbs I found v.7 'The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.' Well, speaking only for myself, I can safely say that the last thing I want to be known as is a fool. If I have a wide range of choices of being 'good for something' it will not be as the choice fool.
Since self image is everything for everybody, I'd rather be known for my pursuing of God's wisdom!

Let Us Pray: Come Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of your faithful and kindle in them the fire of your love. Send forth your Spirit, and they shall be created. And You shall renew the face of the earth. Let us further pray. O, God, who by the light of the Holy Spirit, did instruct the hearts of the faithful, grant that by the same Holy Spirit we may be truly wise and ever enjoy His consolations. Through Jesus Christ Our Lord. Amen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgM3nokGVqg
WHISPERS OF MY FATHER - ANCIENT WORDS by Michael W. Smith with Lyrics
www.youtube.com
https://www.facebook.com/WhispersofMyFather
WHISPERS OF MY FATHER - ANCIENT WORDS by Michael W. Smith with Lyrics
www.youtube.com
https://www.facebook.com/WhispersofMyFather

No comments:

Post a Comment