Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Day 134: Why Do I Need The Bible?

Day 134: Why Do I Need The Bible?

Read: Psalm 119:9 - 16

I want to start today's devotional message with asking you a few questions. “Why Do I Need The Bible? What is so great about this Book? If I were to sit down with you in say your kitchen or living room or in your favorite restaurant and come right out, ask you these questions, what would you say to me? "What do you mean, why?" "Why do you ask?" "Why do you want to know?" "That is kind of personal question isn't it?" I do not know what you are talking about because I do not have one and besides, I do not believe that stuff anyway?" "And, by the way, since you asked, we are done talking!"
These represent a few of the rather terse responses I've gotten. Really big relationship stoppers, huh?

I believe that if, or more precisely when, I hear "What scriptures would you show me to make me believe that I needed to read it", I would be pleasantly shocked and taken off guard. So much so I fear that I would not be able to answer the question myself. I try meditating on this from time to time to try and keep myself on point when I wake up every morning at 0 dark 30 to await the revelation of wisdom from the Lord or go to bed considering the events of my wife's and my day wrapped neatly in a Scriptural context. Was this a blessing? Was that a God thing that just occurred? How can I to wrap a heart that's buried in the chaos of everyday life as a husband around my God? What relevance here?

In today’s culture and our society in general, there are so many 'things', so much 'stuff' people are convinced they need, that they will expend every ounce of their being to 'just trying it', 'just getting it' or 'just doing it', 'just living it', but one of the 'things' they seem to think they don’t need is the scriptures. They greatly hesitate to admit in public, let alone in private, that somewhere and at some point in their life, there was a verse or passage(s)in the Bible that defined their life's journey. If I was to ask you how much do you read the Bible, what would you tell me? A better question to ask I think would be, “How important is the Bible to you”? How much do you value it? How much do I value it?

Is the Bible still relevant for you? Is the Bible still relevant for anybody for that matter? Within the overwhelmingly complex and diverse ways of life of life for any one of us, we have more access to the Bible then ever before through the internet, smart phone applications. Yet why do you believe (do you believe?) there seems to be a famine for the Word of God. Why is that? Perhaps it is because people don’t understand the value of it! Perhaps it is because people are relationally challenged and distanced by the ease of communicating over social media outlets like facebook, Twitter. So, just for today, just for a little while, please consider the relevance and value of God's Word for you and to your own family.

Let Us Pray: God, source of all light, source of unsearchable wisdom, by your Word you give light to the darkened soul. Pour out upon us the waters of life, feed us with the bread that gives life, Your manna from heaven which sustained the Israelites in the wilderness. Fill our minds and hearts to beyond overflowing with the Spirit of true wisdom and understanding that, being taught by you in Holy Scripture, our hearts and minds may be opened to the revelation of Your truth. That through this truth we may come to know, to experience and share of the things that pertain to life and holiness; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Living Word of God speak unto all our hearts this day. Come, make a difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JK_6osCH74

No comments:

Post a Comment