Saturday, November 24, 2012

Day 60: Mirror Mirror On The Wall ....

Day 60: Mirror Mirror On The Wall ....

Read: 2 Corinthians 3:12 - 18

They are there. They are just quietly standing there on the walls. They are not doing anything in particular to draw our attention to them after all they are just inanimate objects placed there that at some given point during our day we may come to look at them once or twice or for some more to see what we would see, perhaps to stand in their shiny presence and watch and witness to what that other person sees in his or her self. Yes, as you have probably guessed already I'm referring to all those mirrors you have around your house. Mirrors in your bathrooms, vanities, hallways, bedrooms perhaps your living room and why not, even your ceilings too. What, Who do you see?

This morning I am going to take some time to examine the subject of who you really are. I am talking about “The One in the Mirror" "The One who is staring back at you" "The One no one can stand to look at first thing in the morning - the One we groan and moan at when we first arise from our beds". "The One we vigorously pray is not and will not become an Accurate Reflection of the Real You.” Are you like these One's pretending to be someone or something you pray you are not or will never become? Or have you been deceiving yourself for so long that you actually believe that you are something or someone else? Who are you really? Who are the 'One's' in the mirror?

Please excuse me for moment. There is something really important I have to do right now. "Mirror, Mirror on the wall ...Oh Forget it ... Never Mind ... Forget That I Asked ... Just Mind Your Own Business ... Leave Me Alone, Why Don't You? ... Did I Really Ask For Your Opinion? ... Are You Sure It Is Safe For You to Give To Me? ... "Would You Like Me To Return It To You In The Same Spirit In Which I Actually Received It From You? ... Did I Or Did I Not Just Tell You To Stop Staring At Me? ... Please Just Go Away You Are Bothering Me! ... You Know, One Of Us Is On The Verge of Seven Years Bad Luck! Oops, I'm sorry. I looked in my mirror, only my mirror just annoyingly kept staring back at me. Bummers!

Ancient mirrors were made of metal and gave dim reflections, which is why Paul says that now we see in a mirror, dimly. Have you ever seen your reflection in a spoon? I bet if you did, the image would be elongated and guess what ... it is upside down too. Pretty weird huh when you hold that spoon up to the light and look at yourself as Paul saw himself 2000 years ago? What about seeing your reflection in a window? That’s pretty dim, too, huh? While, there are certain things we won’t know until we get to heaven, like whether or not Adam and Eve had belly buttons. One thing we can know is whose image we are reflecting, what we look like when God's the One who is actually holding on to the mirror.

Let Us Pray: Creator God, In the very beginning of all things You said: ‘Let us make humankind in our image, according to our likeness; ... So God created humankind in his image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.' First You looked in Your mirror, then looked at what Your hand created and declared them all good. Sadly, Lord, today we do not look in the same mirror You did. We see ourselves dimly and upside down. Nothing like when You first saw our reflections in the mirror You first held in your hand when You created us in our Mother's womb. So, Lord, I pray for that single day when I can hold in my hand that self same mirror 'And all of us, with unveiled faces, seeing the glory of the Lord as though reflected in a mirror, are likewise being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another; for this comes from the Lord, the Spirit.' Lord, let me reflect Your glory!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlqqlM-r6M8
House of Mirrors, Tenth Avenue North (lyrics!)
www.youtube.com
House of Mirrors

No comments:

Post a Comment