Thursday, November 1, 2012

Day 37: The Golden Rule

Day 37: The Golden Rule

Read: Matthew 7:7 - 12

I am sure that all of us have shopped at J.C. Penney at some time or other, but I desire to enlighten you of something that you probably did not know about Penney’s. As I was doing some independent investigation I found out that it used to be known as “the Golden Rule store”. In fact, when Mr. J.C. Penney first started in 1902, his first several stores were called that. I learned Mr. Penney did not like to use the word “employee.” He called those that worked for him, “Associates”. He treated them just as well as he would like to be treated, too. He was able to take a general store and build it into a multi-billion dollar business, because he lived and loved the Golden Rule.

Contrast this with your own personal experience. Mr. Penny tried his best to always treat people like he wanted to be treated. He treated them with great dignity, love, respect, kindness, understanding and encouragement. Do you try to treat others in your life like this – or not? Our normal instincts might be to say that "whoever has all the gold makes all the rules" or our instinct is to think that we would be nicer to others if they would show these attributes to us, isn’t it? But, that’s the problem. Jesus didn’t say, “Treat people with the same Respect that they treat you.” He said, “Whatever you want men to do to you, do to them,” Give equal you'll get equal back.

Here in lies the the genuine challenge for each of us: not all people are always so lovable. Truth be told after re reading the first part of this this passage (vs 7 - 11), I believe that Jesus was well acquainted with the genuine nature of the human heart. Loving your enemy and praying for those who persecute you does in no way come easily or naturally to any one of us. Crossing any such chasm between one person and another who is naturally irritating, unfriendly, and suspicious across that rickety old, wind driven, wildly swaying, weather beaten, storm damaged wooden bridge is one Jesus says requires a genuinely sacrificial, prayerful, courageous, trusting heart.

For us to be able to truly LIVE that, we must truly LOVE all like that. This is impossible unless Jesus Christ is the GOLD at the center of our hearts, as it is only through Him that we find enough love to love other people. “You have heard it said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ I tell you, ‘Love your enemy and pray for those who persecute you.” We are commanded to love everyone. That is how Jesus lived on this earth, and if we are Christians, we must strive to be like Christ. How will the world know that we are Christians? They will not know that by reading a sign over our doors. They will only know that by the GOLD we hold in our hearts for all others.

Let Us Pray: Lord, I have no gold so I guess that I cannot make any of the rules. But what I do have I give unto You and the people of this, Your kingdom. These people who are called to be my neighbors whether I choose to like them or not for reasons which have no relevance to You, Your Son or The Holy Spirit. I ask that in spite of me, You take my hand guide my uncertain steps across that impossible impassable bridge. Help me that in everything I do for You, I'll do it for the sake of fairness and equality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu258qXd4js
Love Knows No End - Hillsong Live (Lyrics) New 2012 DVD Album Cornerstone (Worship Song for Jesus)
www.youtube.com
Hillsong Live New DVD Album, Cornerstone, 2012,
Love Knows No End - Hillsong Live (Lyrics) New 2012 DVD Album Cornerstone (Worship Song for Jesus)
www.youtube.com
Hillsong Live New DVD Album, Cornerstone, 2012,

No comments:

Post a Comment