Monday, November 5, 2012

Day 41: Forgiveness When Sin Always Seems To Win.

Day 41: Forgiveness When Sin Always Seems To Win.

Read: Romans 7:15 - 25, Psalm 51:3 - 5

"For I know my transgressions and my sin is ever before me" Yes, I know very well, perhaps all too well that the wrongness of my actions and my sinful response will be found standing directly before me, straight on in my face, too far inside my personal space which I reserve for only the most intimate of times with those I most intimately love and trust. Yes, the failures of my life are like the skin that God gave me when I was growing and developing in my mother's womb. Yes there they all are, for all the for all the world to see and bring their own brand of judgment to bare upon my soul. A saddened soul that yesterday, this morning and I expect tomorrow too, too often bares witnesses to my sin's victory.

It just seems that there is this constant never - ending war going on inside of my life. I see it everyday. It just will not give me any opportunity to take a moments breather. It stands before me, it moves as I move. I turn right to try and get away only to find it had gotten there ahead of me as though it already knows every move I will ever try to take to get away from it. I am so very tired. I am very weary even bordering on exhaustion both physically and spiritually. I try this tactic and that. I achieve a small victory here and there. I try to build on it in the hopes that I might gain some meaningful levels of momentum to propel me into the next battle, the next victory. Sin forever seems to remain victorious.

The Apostle Paul writes in response to this perpetual no holds barred conflict: '15 I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. 16 Now if I do what I do not want, I agree that the law is good. 17 But in fact it is no longer I that do it, but sin that dwells within me. 18 For I know that nothing good dwells within me, that is, in my flesh. I can will what is right, but I cannot do it. 19 For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I do. 20 Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I that do it, but sin that dwells within me' (Romans 7:15-20). Basically, why does sin always have the upper hand in our lives? God: Is there sufficient mercy left for me?

Perhaps it’s not so difficult to consider that God is willing to forgive us the first time we sin. Especially if we learn from those mistakes and vow never to commit that same sin again. But what about after we have repented, after we have promised to God again and again never to retrace that path that leads to our destruction then turn on that same cursed dime and do it all over again? Can God forgive us after so many repeat offenses? Or perhaps even by far more importantly – will He also forgive us of those sins too? Understand this about God’s grace and forgiveness: we need it desperately. He offers it to strengthen us, no strings attached for God's mercy always win in the end.

Let Us Pray: Wretched person that I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Now, DEEPLY personalize Psalm 17 to your own intimate war against your enemy SIN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9FG12eTSbI&feature=g-high-rec
How Deep The Father's Love For Us
www.youtube.com
How Deep the Father's Love for Us by Joy Williams.

No comments:

Post a Comment