Monday, November 19, 2012

Day 55: Dear God: This Is Where I Am At Right Now!

Day 55: Dear God: This Is Where I Am At Right Now!

Read: 1Kings 19:1 - 18 (The Prophet Elijah flees from Jezebel)

Dear God,

"Well, Here I am Lord, exhausted and completely wore out. I have spent the whole day running like somebody that was being pursued by a pride of lions. I just cannot take another step. My body has nothing left to give and I can barely breath. My mind has just gone off the deep end. It is racing with the thoughts of my pursuers catching up to me that they may take their revenge upon me and thrust their angry swords through my pounding heart. They seek to kill, they seek to spill my blood as I spilled so much of theirs. I cannot help but feel like a complete failure. I do not feel the least bit worthy of Your spirit that gives me life. My God: This is where I am at right now!"

What we’re going to talk about today are the emotional extremes that many people go through. It is slowly entering that time of year when winter sets in and the days and nights get colder and shorter. The night time comes too soon and day light does not last nearly long enough to suit us. The holidays are coming, families will soon be gathering, lots of money we don't necessarily have will soon be spent in great waves. The pressure will soon be upon us to answer all those charitable calls that also seem to come within those great waves. There soon will be plenty of people traveling far away. There will be headaches waiting for everyone at the airports and train stations.

There will be people standing in long lines and muttering to themselves: “What’s the opposite of joy?" To which someone will answer "Sadness". "What is the opposite of elation?" - to which someone will respond "depression." "The opposite of woe?" To which some smart mouthed individual will glibly reply "Well, now, I suppose that the opposite of woe, would be to giddy up." Yes there will be all this joy and elation just waiting for all those unsuspecting people who like the Prophet Elijah are struggling in the midst of: sagging and depressed moods, a slowly growing loss of interest in life. They are undoubtedly experiencing sleep problems, difficulties trying to concentrate.

Like Elijah sitting under the Broom tree, their minds and bodies are in an unsettling state of agitation and growing restlessness. They like Elijah may be muttering" “It is enough; now, O Lord, take away my life, for I am no better than my ancestors.” (4b) Depression is very real part of life for many people. Let me repeat… Depression can be a very real problem, has been even from those most ancient of days till now. So, Why would a man who had experienced some of the most powerful displays of God’s power… Why would he suddenly be crippled by fear, hopelessness and despair? Many are the reasons even the strongest become afflicted. So, where are you right now?

Let Us Pray: Dear Lord Father of Comfort, we are all sitting here under our Broom trees and like Your great Prophet Elijah, some of us are reaching our points of no return. From the vast depths of eternity You looked upon Your suffering servant and You sent forth Your Holy Angels to Elijah's side to minister to Him and to feed Him. Your is the One mountain Elijah journeyed 40 days to take shelter in. You are the One in whom He fully trusted to care for him and heal him. Today, May your servant trust in your goodness and hope in your faithfulness, even in the middle of this suffering. Let him be filled with patience and joy in your presence as he waits for your healing touch. Please restore your servant to full health, dear Father. Raise us as You raised Elijah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm5oirhXl7I
Rhett Walker Band - When Mercy Found Me (with lyrics)
www.youtube.com
The lead radio single from Rhett Walker Band, "When Mercy Found Me." Debut album, Come To

No comments:

Post a Comment