Saturday, September 22, 2012

Day 97: Losing One's Superiority - Journey To Humility

Day 97: Losing One's Superiority - Journey To Humility

Read: Hebrews 3:1 - 19, Genesis 3:8 - 24

"I guarantee you one thing, one tries very convincingly to say to them self, I know I can be superior, I believe that one day I will be superior and I am going to prove it." Having been in this position myself, I developed this knee - jerk reaction that at every opportunity I could I was going to try and position myself in such a way that I am in the superior position to somebody, to anybody. There would be no more bottom of the ladder stuff in my life. So I began to look for the Achilles heel in others: how they dress, talk, walk, drive, carry themselves in public then judge them by my standards.

The writer of the book of Hebrews desires to portray Jesus Christ as being superior to every other option to the readers. The writer is drawing comparisons between the superiority of the law of Moses portraying Jesus Christ as being wholly superior to every other option to the readers. The readers of this letter are Jewish Christians who once lived by the law, but have confessed their faith in Jesus Christ. They are getting discouraged in trusting in something that they cannot see. They openly and vigorously question the superiority of the new faith in Christ and long consider returning back to the old ways.

I know that my Mother taught me better than that. In my mind, I knew that. But what was lost on me was 'how' to know that. Having been told enough times that I always deserved the bottom rung of the ladder, nobody showed the most meaningful ways to climb up, with faith and in complete confidence, to the next rung. I learned it my way and my way seemed to work very well for me, keeping me on top of my life. This was my standard, my banner in life upon which I learned quickly how to judge. I didn't know enough to openly, vigorously question me.

Deep down inside of me I began to realize that my superiority was no longer superior or no longer different from the next guy. My standard of superiority, guaranteed to stand up to the most rigorous standards of time were now rapidly disintegrating right before my eyes. I read the rest of the story from Genesis 3, when God came looking for Adam and Eve. When He found them clothed in hiding, He grilled them both about their new found standard of superiority and found them wanting. Neither one could come up with a single reason why their new way of superiority was better than God's. Now, I am on a journey towards humility and I am discovering my way isn't superior.

Pray with me: Guide me, O thou great Jehovah, pilgrim through this barren land. I am weak, but thou art mighty; hold me with thy powerful hand. Bread of heaven, bread of heaven, feed me till I want no more; feed me till I want no more. Amen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGHYni59UM8

No comments:

Post a Comment