Sunday, September 23, 2012

Day 98: Losing One's Burden: Journey To Humility

Day 98: Losing One's Burden: Journey To Humility

Psalm 55:16 - 23 A Psalm of King David - A Song For Those Greatly Burdened.

Rules, Rules, Rules, there were always too many of them around the house. There were too many in school, there were just too many in any job I have ever had. There are more rules everywhere you go. There are rules about rules. There are just too many to keep track of. Rules beget rules which beget even more rules which, you guessed, necessitate more rules to put those other rules in their proper perspective. It is the worst kind of hair pulling experience trying to keep up and follow the logic of some finitely worded, finitely detailed piece of paper that just kept burdening my life.

I know that there have to be rules, without them there would be chaos and everything would be a mess and nothing would get done. The sun would go spinning off in some direction and what kind of fun would that be. There has to be a natural order to life. And then as I was writing this, I realized something so completely awesome. It is a perspective that I did not even considered until it was just now revealed to my heart. It is this; what an unbearable burden it would be if I had to be the one responsible for keeping all the rules of this universe. Yet, God does it without any kind of complaining.

I struggle with rules. Keeping them or remembering them all would be an absolutely exhausting burden. I could never hope to keep them all straight. So, as I am sitting here writing this, my heart is saying to me "why do you even bother trying?" A valid question that, for once, thunders into my weighed down spirit to take a God - sized step back to gain a new perspective, God's perspective, on this burden I have placed upon myself for no reason. Consider prayerfully where David placed his confidence:

16 But I call upon God,
and the Lord will save me.
17 Evening and morning and at noon
I utter my complaint and moan,
and he will hear my voice.
18 He will redeem me unharmed
from the battle that I wage,
for many are arrayed against me.

If we are exhausted by anything, it is because we have allowed ourselves to be led away by the burden of our pride, the burden of allowing ourselves to believe that we can do more and be more than God. We place too much of our own confidence that we can bear any burden no matter how devastating. David placed his confidence in the Lord God, not upon his own shoulders, that God alone could bear the unbearable.

22 Cast your burden on the Lord,
and he will sustain you;
he will never permit
the righteous to be moved.

Today, Consider 'Burden' to be your greatest enemy. Pray unto the Lord Psalm 55! Personalize it to your life. Place the burden of being a burden back upon itself. Let it convict itself. Give your God sized burden a proper God sized perspective of reality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp_PolBwjEw
The Battle Belongs to the Lord
www.youtube.com
Here is a video set to the song The Battle Belongs to the Lord performed by the Maranatha singers. Thank you for watching and please respond in kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment