Monday, September 10, 2012

Day 85: Ordinary Name For An Extraordinary Time


Day 85: Ordinary Name For An Extraordinary Time

Read: Hebrews 1:1 - 4

I have a confession to make. I have an ordinary name that was given to me by my Dad. There is nothing particularly exotic about it and there are no deep and mysterious meanings to be gleaned by it except that it is quite biblical. It is a fairly common name. I do not have any particular problems with it not that I had much choice about it when I was born. I couldn't really debate it with my Dad so I just laid back and accepted it. So,today I with an ordinary name, in an ordinary home, drive an ordinary car, live out as ordinary a life as I can. I believe you get the idea that I have gotten ordinary down pat.

Most of my life has been mired in the ordinary and mundane things in life. For a long time it has been an exhausting struggle to remain ordinary. Well, the truth of it is this – I am tired of hearing that word. I am tired of trying so hard to live in the shadow that word. Sometimes, I want to be extraordinary. In the back of my mind I desire to be, for a little while at least, to be a little bit extraordinary, to have a cool strong sounding name. I want so much to be admired by others that I don’t have to keep on feeling deep down within me a growing sense of shame of being just an ordinary human being.

There are moments when I pray to Jesus for my fair share of extraordinary. I mean, lets face it, Jesus had an ordinary name, was an ordinary boy playing ordinary games with other ordinary boys who lived in an ordinary home in an ordinary village. Until you take the time to realize that His birth was extraordinary in nature. That His Father God was far beyond anything we understand as being extraordinary. That made this man Jesus ordinary in an extraordinary way. This same Jesus would later in life take all that we now understand as ordinary, through the power of God, transform it far beyond our own concept of extraordinary. A loaf of Bread became His Body, A cup of wine, His blood.

It is good to remind ourselves as often as possible in whose name we are praying. We need to keep in our minds the extraordinary nature and credentials of the One who ushers us into God's presence in the first place. There is nothing ordinary about what He is doing sitting alongside of His Father on our behalf each and every day forever.

I ask that you consider praying about it. Jesus went far beyond extraordinary at Mount Calvary that we too may one day live with Him far beyond the realms of ordinary or extraordinary. He is the only Son Of God and the exact representation of God's being in whose image we were all created before we were born to our ordinary parents, given ordinary names to live out our ordinary lives trying to extraordinary things with God.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puMrm8T8_04
Jesus name above all names (with lyrics) - Harmonica Cover
www.youtube.com
Played in Daitonic Blues Harp Key of C. Recording and Editing done by D.J Clif - Special Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment