Friday, September 28, 2012

Day 3: Listening To God: "I And The Father Are One"

Day 3: "I And The Father Are One""

Read: John 10:22 - 30

When we communicate with each other, there is always a central message that we desire to pass along to the person or people we are communicating with. This holds true whether it be a conversation between family members, just a casual talk at the bus stop - "Am I at the right stop?", at the local Starbucks - Server asks "May I help you, please?" At the Doctor's office - "What is bothering you the most today?" At the office when your Supervisor tells you - "Keep it simple." "Just give me the main facts!" "Just give me what I need to know so I can make the very best possible decisions.

Jesus continues His shepherd sermon in this passage but He also advances another teaching. Jesus makes the declaration that He and the Father are one. It is clear that persons hearing the message must recognize Jesus as being one with the Father or else make a decision to reject Him entirely. Jesus works bear witness of who He is, but the witness is received and appreciated only by how those receivers understand what the central message is that Jesus is trying to instill into their lives to promote change and transformation. To encourage each of them to be in healthy conversation.

THE PLAIN TRUTH, verses 22-25. The crowd is surrounding Jesus and looking for an unambiguous statement about the validity of Jesus’ identity. “How long will you keep us in suspense?” can also be translated, “How long will you annoy us?” These people seem more likely to be antagonistic rather than seeking clarity. What they want is an open, clear statement from Jesus authenticating who He says He is. If you are at a lecture in some school, you might be more interested in the Professor giving you what you need to know to pass the next examination, not the extraneous information you most likely will never remember. "Hey teach, is there a central point to this lesson?"

THE ONE TRUE GOD, verse 30. Jesus asserts that He had already told them in verse 25. Jesus answered them, “I told you, and you do not believe; the works that I do in My Father’s name, these testify of Me. Jesus placed the burden of hearing and understanding His assertions with His questioners. The root problem is unbelief, not miscommunication. These people had no faith. What sets your faith apart is one very important thing: What does your heart tell you about Jesus' central message: 'The Father and I are one?’ For me it comes down to 'everything that I am, Jesus is also' as my personal faith says Father, Son and Holy Spirit are all alive and all living in me!

Father, Son and Holy Spirit, weave us together in body, mind and spirit. Live in me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1Wa2msOq9c

No comments:

Post a Comment