Thursday, August 30, 2012

Day 74: God: "Your Way or Mine?" "Which One?"

Day 74: God: "Your Way or Mine?" "Which One?"

Read: Isaiah 55:1 - 9

I knew them as the 'burger wars'. Some years ago, I believe about ten or so, there was an advertising war between Burger King and McDonald's. It was 'have it your way' at Burger King and 'special orders don't upset us' versus a “Big Mac Attack.” The intended implication was that your craving could be satisfied by getting two all beef patty, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun. Truth be told is that I was always going for the 'Big Mac', not so much for the taste or the ingredients but truth be told because I just absolutely loved their jingle as it sang through each ingredient.

Each one touted that their way was the better way for the consumer to ultimately find complete satisfaction for their stomachs. Like I said, I preferred the 'Big Mac', never really caring to try the 'Whopper' or any of its smaller siblings or cousins. That was just "My Way". I was never really out to try and influence anybody else's way nor was I ever trying to become a walking advertisement for the 'Big Mac' either - It was never an everyday kind of thing for me. It was not as if I'm trying to go on TV saying 'my way or the highway!'

From our Scripture reading, the Prophet Isaiah is preaching to the Israelite's that there is a better way, there is a 'higher way' to live and this is God's way. I do not specifically remember just how much Burger King or McDonald's sold their burger's for to sell 'their way or the highway (both were always the most expensive offerings on their menu). However, God's way is being advertised and proclaimed as 'free'! No cost attached. It is a way that even comes right out and challenges us point blank why we should anybody be paying for it at all (Isaiah 55:1 - 2) "without money and without price!" What do we have to do to receive this free food? I mean free is very good, no better way to save!

It’s been said that everyone has a God-shaped hole in their heart. We can choose to fill the hole our way or God’s way. We can try to do it our way. We can try to fill the “God-shaped” hole in our own way. There are two problems. Our way is not what it SEEMS. (Verse 2a). Have you ever wanted something; only to get it and find out that it was not as good as you thought it would be? Our way does not SATISFY. (Verse 2b) Have you ever noticed that some foods just don’t satisfy in the long run? Ultimately trying to fill the “God-shaped hole” in our life is like trying to cure a “Big Mac Attack” with a Whopper. It’s when we finally come to the revelation that we can’t filled the hole on our own terms, in our own 'way' that we decide we should probably do it God’s way.

Let us Pray: Lord, you know us better than we know ourselves. You know all too well the near absolute satisfaction we carry within us for living only in 'our own ways.' You know our strengths and weaknesses, the hurt and the pain we cause to each other trying to protect at all costs what we deeply believe is the better way - ours. Lord, I plea with you this day to reveal to us the smallest snippet of your free transforming grace. Open my eyes that I may see it, my hands that I may grab it, my mouth that I may eat of it and finally, once and for all time, truly experience 100% guaranteed satisfaction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODEU4rbd84c

www.youtube.comJeremiah 29:11 - "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper

No comments:

Post a Comment