Thursday, August 9, 2012

Day 53: Alongside 'Impossible' In Hospice: What If there was hope?

Day 53: Alongside 'Impossible' In Hospice: What if there was hope?

Read: John 13:34 - 35; 2Corinthians 5:11 - 6:2; Philippians 4:10 - 13

What on earth am I doing here. I had heard that an old friend was gravely ill and was near the end of his time. I walked into the room and was greeted by sadness unlike any I had ever experienced before. Once upon a time, 'Impossible' was my very best friend. Then my life began to change when I started hanging more and more with Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Gradually I found myself moving steadily away from 'Impossible'. It was not long before I lost track of my one friend and into the absolutely best friendship I ever had. All the things that I never believed I could do hanging with 'Impossible' suddenly became possible. I was in fully love with them.

Now, many years later, the Father has told me that an old friend was passing away. I asked Him what He required of me and He told me to go to his bedside. Over the years that I had not seen or heard from my old friend I came to realize that there were many things that caused me more grief than I had first accepted. There were so many times that I wanted to go far beyond where I was but I was held back by the incredibly persuasive words 'Impossible' used to keep me alongside. 'There's nothing of worth there so let's just forget about doing that and go this or that way.'

As I am now sitting in this chair next to the bed 'Impossible' was resting in. I started to have a rush of the not so good memories about all those times I was held back. I began to remember all the not so good times that I thought were absolutely great. I started to get very tearful but also very angry. I found myself having to fight back against the temptation to just get up and leave my friend in this circumstance. I had suffered much listening to the words 'Impossible' manipulated me by. I had lost one opportunity after the other because I had chosen, 'against my better judgement' to follow 'Impossible'. Somewhere deep inside of me, I believe I actually worshiped him as well.

However, I have new best friends - Father, Son, Holy Spirit. I realize now that as I fight back the temptation to leave, why they have sent me to this place at this time. We all mess up. We say things we later wish we could take back. We do things we wish we could undo. We miss many opportunities. This happens in all spheres of our lives. Sometimes we make mistakes, sometimes we hurt the people we love. Because we all mess up, we like to start over—to turn our backs on the past, look forward, to hope that this time around, maybe even 'Impossible' will get better. What if we became this hope?

The most relevant point here is: We need to become this hope for someone else. For the love of Christ my Savior urges us on into this place because we became convinced that the One who loved us so much now, who loved us, had died for us likewise died for everybody else including now suffering 'Impossible'! Now, here, in the name of that ultimate love, we are able to see 'Impossible' through God's eyes.

Let us pray: Lord, we live in a world of great change where everyday is filled with uncertainty, where impossible strives to become our best in life. We are surrounded by the twists and turns of life, and we often feel we have little or no control over the things that happen. Lord, we seek new beginnings in Your presence. We come to minister to 'Impossible' to find ourselves, to find our way, to find our hope. We come now to you because the Love of our Savior Jesus Christ first came to us. Amen.

http://www.youtube.com/
watch?v=EUGQFH03apc

No comments:

Post a Comment