Thursday, August 16, 2012

Day 60: All Things Possible: Walking on the Water

Day 60: All Things Possible: Walking on the Water

Matthew 14:28 - 33 (Peter Walks With Jesus - On The Water!); Psalm 107:23 - 32

This passage of the Bible is one that people generally find themselves having a tough time wrapping their minds around. It is the second in a line of incredibly miraculous events in the life of the disciples and their fellow Israelite brethren. First came the feeding of an incredible 5000 people from a few loaves of bread and a few fish. To have been there on that day at that moment to witness this would do more than just fill your stomach. It would undoubtedly shocked you to the very core of your senses.

Without even giving the people or His disciples the chance to absorb the enormous scope of what has just taken place, He put His disciples into a boat instructing them to go to the other side while He stayed behind to dismiss the crowd and then pray. Then Bing Bang Boom we next see the disciples in the middle of a great storm which even these well skilled fisherman have no idea what to with or even how to survive it. From the most miraculous of good suddenly thrust into the most horrific of bad. What a journey through one extreme to the other and before they have a chance to get to the other side of the lake to try to take the time to sit down and figure things out.

What is Jesus' answer to this: an invitation to join with Him walking on the water to save themselves and to get to the other side! Another stunner! What is Jesus talking about? From miraculous feeding to massive panic to an invitation to willingly drown? Things are happening so fast and furiously we cannot begin to adjust ourselves to a time sufficient to gather our thoughts, to make well considered decision: whats next? Jesus' response to us: Take My hand. Come walk on the water with me for while. I still, as I am writing this, cannot completely picture what Jesus is asking of us. What is it that He wants us to believe? What is it that Jesus so desperately wants us see? The storm? A sinking boat? Or our life in His outstretched hand?

There is a body of water called Sinepuxent Bay and a short distance away across the Bay and on the other side of our camp site is Assateague Island. I just found out the other day I could walk on the water getting maybe halfway to the island. I have to confess that I was actually walking on a large sandbar, but still, I found myself walking several hundred yards away from shore and standing in less than a foot of water. There were many others with me with their small children and dog's that were not able to swim. All were in the middle of playing. All seemed to be rather confident standing in less than a foot of water in the middle of the Bay
 
What did I see? When I began all I could see was "How did they do that?" That is supposed to be impossible? However, from the middle of the bay looking back I saw where I began. Looking forward I saw the brand new possibility of getting to the other side. In between that was water of which I had no knowledge. But I could see people who had walked on the water before me. In faith, In trust, In prayer, I journeyed forth and guess what - I made it there, I made it back and I am alive and talking to you about it now. Jesus wanted His disciples to finally see beyond the impossible, dare to see all the possibilities when we all we can see is the impossible before us. It is not going to necessarily change the strength of the storm or the depth of the water beneath our feet but it will dramatically change our perception of what is possible as we dare ourselves to reach out to Jesus, in faith, hope and trust, grasping Jesus' hand, walking to the other side.

Let us pray: Heavenly Father, You tell us all things are possible through You. However, one too many times we see only the troubles and problems that cause us to doubt You. Please take away
our doubts, give us more faith and trust and love to walk hand in hand on the water with you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPc6nRX-x90
Walk on the water by Britt Nicole (With lyrics)
www.youtube.com
Kool and awesome song by britt nicole with lyrics and kool graphics i do not own any graphics or
Walk on the water by Britt Nicole (With lyrics)
www.youtube.com
Kool and awesome song by britt nicole with lyrics and kool graphics i do not own any graphics or

No comments:

Post a Comment