Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Day 66: Good Teacher, What One More Thing Must I Do?

Day 66: Good Teacher, What One More Thing Must I Do?

Read: Mark 10:17 - 31

As he was setting out on a journey, a man ran up and knelt before him, and asked him, ‘Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?’ (Mark 10:17)

This is a story of a man, of someone, of a rich young ruler or if it were you or me today it might just as well have been your name or mine or your best friend or your worst enemy. I believe the point is that someone placed himself at the feet or in the face of Jesus and wanted to know 'Is this all there is to my life? 'Is there more that I could be doing for my people?' 'I am tired of the way things are and I desire to be a meaningful agent of change - what one more thing can I do, should I do, must I do? Are not these the same important questions we should all be daring to ask of Jesus?

Somehow you get a sense that whoever this man is, he has been on the fringe of desiring something radically different. Gradually, over an unknown period of time he has been experiencing a growing sense of unrest within him. He knows how things are, has had a good life living within how things were but now there was something going on inside of him, something he could not easily dismiss. We do not know what that might have been for him. However, we can reasonably believe it was something very important to him, something very personal to him or his family. It was something that he felt very compelled to get involved in. Something he felt compelled to change.

Jesus, looking at him, loved him and said, ‘You lack one thing; go, sell what you own, and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me.’ (Mark 10:21).

Place yourself in the moment for a minute. Look closely at the deliberate eye contact being made between Jesus and the man. What thoughts go through your mind and then your heart when Jesus said point blank to the man, 'you lack one thing'. What just happened to your heart when you heard 'you lack one thing'? Did your heart just try to jump through your throat? 'One more thing?' Just what does Jesus mean when He tells you that 'I need one more thing'? What is this one more thing that I must do?

This cannot be too hard! Or is it so hard that the Lord knows I will have to overcome the impossible - myself - just to achieve it? Jesus is saying to us that we need to look at ourselves from the inside out. We must each be prepared to make the one single decision we never thought we'd have to make. What ever that choice is for each of us, and it is different for all of us, we must consciously choose to cross the line that we decided long ago was uncrossable. Its the line we erased a very long time ago. What might that be for you? What is that 'one more thing' that Jesus requires of you?

Pray: Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, What 'one more thing' do you require of me? What 'one more thing' must I do to finally achieve my breakthrough and to truly follow you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdKzOy6C5MY
Britt Nicole - "Breakthrough" (Lyric Video)
www.youtube.com
Download the brand new album "GOLD" from Britt Nicole on iTunes starting March 26, 2012. http://smarturl.it/GOLD www.brittnicole.com

www.youtube.comDownload the brand new album "GOLD" from Britt Nicole on iTunes starting March 26, 2012. http://smarturl.it/GOLD www.brittnicole.com

No comments:

Post a Comment