Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Day 52: Alongside 'Impossible' In Hospice

Day 52: Alongside 'Impossible' in Hospice

Read Psalm 22:1 - 11

What are you going to do? What is it you can do? What is it that the other person wants from you, from Father, Son, Holy Spirit? What is it that you can deliver that will soothe, give comfort, pass along the peace that defies comprehension? What will be your prayer when you are eye to eye, hand in hand with Impossible lying before you? You are entering hospice. You've been drawn to this place where people come to finish their course in life. You are there visiting resident 'Impossible' in room ..... .

'Impossible' has had a long and full life. 'Impossible' has gotten to know many many people very closely along the way. 'Impossible' has made a ton of best friends over the years. Perhaps you are one of them 'Impossible' can tell you grand stories of the relationships its been a part of, just how absolutely rewarding each and everyone of them been. The vastness of the life experiences of 'Impossible' would completely stagger the imagination of all of us. There is just not enough time during the day or night to listen to them one by one. I know that if I were to listen long enough, my own close friendship would come out. We had some rather joyful times.

Now, 'Impossible' is in Hospice care. You were not even aware 'Impossible' was this gravely ill. Your encounters with 'Impossible' over the years led you to believe that there was absolutely nothing on this earth that could bring this moment to reality. Yet, here I am visiting an old friend I have come to know very well and the end of life for 'Impossible' is drawing nearer and nearer. I am not really sure what I can do. In fact I do not even know what I can say that can help my friend in this hour of need. I knock on the door. A familiar now saddened voice from within beckons me to enter. Ever so quietly, I slowly enter into this darkened somber room. 
 
Our eyes meet, 'Impossible' has been crying. Immediately I find myself crying with my friend. 'Impossibles' first words to me strike at my heart like a bolt of lightning:

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
Why are you so far from helping me, from the words of my groaning?
O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer;
and by night, but find no rest. (Psalm 22:1 - 2)

At such a moment as this we are thunder struck to come up with the right response at the right moment. What do I do now? What do I say now? 'Impossible' is never going to rise from this bed, you are going to go back to your home and to your family so what is your next action? My challenge to you today is to prayerfully consider your own response. Wrestle with the heart of Father Son Holy Spirit. Wrestle with all that your life has become. Wrestle with your heart against this song of the Psalmist.

Is this scenario one you are likely to encounter in your lifetime? Can you begin to see yourself somewhere in this scenario? Can you place yourself in this scenario? If so where? My challenge for you today is pray over this scenario ask God to help continue your visit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8gkDiTvloc

No comments:

Post a Comment