Friday, July 12, 2013

Day 285: "I Guess This Is Really My Urgent Plea"

Day 285: "I Guess That This Is Really My Urgent Plea"

Read: Mark 12:28 - 34, 1 Peter 4:10 - 11

Today, my Spirit senses a great urgency. An urgent need to get straight to the very heart of today's matter. Somehow, someway, something is pressing me to avoid the usual idle chit chat, to press on with the devotion for today. God has something that He has placed heavily upon my heart that He feels an urgent need (is there any other kind) for me to try to relate to you today. "Use the gifts that I have given you!", "Why are you so afraid to give what you have received from Me and My Son?" "I have such a wonderful purpose so waiting to be revealed if you will be but more giving than you do now!" "I know that it is a very tiresome cliche' but I really do love a cheerful giver."

My response was "But Lord, I feel as though I do too much now!" I wake up every day at 530. I am trying hard to study Your Word for the day that I might write a devotion to encourage and strengthen Your people to do greater things. Every morning I pray that You will reveal to me what it is You desire to say to every which corner of this globe. I write and re-write for 2 1/2 sometimes three hours and spend all day posting it. I am husband to my wife studying theology, ever available to answer questions I have absolutely no idea the answer to. I am involved in Prison Ministry, I'm a spiritual leader of my church preparing to lead men's study of Mark's gospel. What else could there be God?

Yes, I do apologize for unleashing some of the deepest thoughts of my soul upon you. Yes, what else does God want from all His 'cheerful givers" that give so fully of who they are? What more of the gifts that God has given to us can any one of us give back before we feel like the giving of these gifts is more of a trial and tribulation than joy? What do any of you say on this matter? I really would deeply appreciate your deepest thoughts on this weighty burden that I now suddenly find resting upon my shoulders. "What else can we give that we have not given abundantly enough of already?" I am spiritually and physically tired now. Yet I feel this enormous urgency to do keep doing. 
 
What is thumping so very hard against spirit right now, that as a United Methodist, is a quote from John Wesley that is holding such a powerful influential sway over who I am and why I do what I do as often as I feel called to do it. “Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. At all the times you can. To all the people you can. As long as ever you can.” In case you have not noticed, there are allot of the word 'all' in that quotation. I guess my own spiritual conflict is trying to reconcile meeting the standard of all those 'all' words and knowing God loves a cheerful giver. A cheerful giver does not worry there will be nothing left.

Let Us Pray: Lord, What is it that you expect of me each and everyday? Why is there this overwhelming sense of urgency to 'keep giving of our selves, our gifts from Your Son'? Why is it that this weighs so heavy upon the hearts of those who give so much of themselves now? What is it that compels us forward against conventional wisdom? Why do we feel like we cannot give ourselves permission to stop? Why is it we are so fully driven to do what You have called us to do for the sake of Your Kingdom? Is it love, Lord? A love that becomes so fully encompassing and completely engaged in the needs of Your people what ever corner of the globe they may be living in? Can this kind of Love become a greater burden than the burden Your Son has carried for me? Help me, ABBA Father! I desperately desire Your greater wisdom in my life. "Please"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh_dhd1sqG0

No comments:

Post a Comment