Monday, July 8, 2013

Day 281: Sharing Our Faith: Standing Firm In The Face Of Criticsm

Day 281: Sharing Our Faith: Standing Firm In The Face Of Criticism

Read: 1 Peter 3:14 - 16

There is something that had been on my mind for a while and, well, it kind of came to a head yesterday when I looked at a couple of videos about the several excuses we all try to put out there why we are so hesitant to or just simply do not share our faith. It was one that struck me very hard in the gut because it was the one that I am most susceptible to. It was the thought that I would be harshly criticized, even mocked for sharing the Gospel message of faith, hope, and love 'yea unto the ends of the earth'. And that very ugly thought petrifies me. Whether you believe in God or not, if you are going to live openly for Christ in this world, you'll be criticized for all kinds of things.

If you preach on hell, you will be criticized for being unloving. If you preach against sin, you will be criticized of being too legalistic. If you preach on liberty you will be criticized for being overly compromising, not steadfast and immovable as Paul called us to be (1 Corinthians 15:57 - 58). If you took the message out into the streets of some public place, started asking people about their faith and eternal destinations, it is my guess that you will be accused of being a 'bible thumper' or a 'Jesus freak' or like what just happened in Washington state, a crowd of very irate people will mob you, try to rip up, tear away the message, worse, they'll even start beating you up.

I am not the least bit courageous enough in my witness to stand in the face of those who may criticize me and risk bodily harm and I feel a profound sense of shame in that. Because flying in the face of all that 'cowardice' is the Word of God! 'But even if you should suffer for the sake of righteousness, you are blessed. AND DO NOT FEAR THEIR INTIMIDATION, AND DO NOT BE TROUBLED, 15 but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence; (14,15). I, perhaps you as well, interpret that as a head long rush into the path of martyrdom.

So what should our much considered response be? Jesus commands me that I should stand there and take it and reminds me too that I am blessed when criticism occurs for great is my reward in heaven (Matthew 5:11). But when someone is slinging mud at us from all directions from a hardened heart, it's so unnatural to want to let people know that in your heart there are no 'hard feelings'. Scripture says we do not need to defend ourselves 'and keep a good conscience so that in the thing in which you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ will be put to shame.' I know this will not be easy, even hopelessly contrary. So pray, please let Christ rule in your heart!

Let Us Pray: Heavenly Father, thank you for the undying message of your Gospel. I am so completely honored, so completely humbled by your call upon my life to be its messenger in the world. But Lord, I confess to you a great fear of becoming the butt of severe criticism on the part of others, and I do not know how to react to it. Help me to know what to do, and to carry it out without fear or hesitation. Help me to fear nothing except to becoming faithless to You while avoiding bitterness, defensiveness, or retaliation. Grant that I might one day have the moral strength to keep my poise and my faith in myself because they are founded on You. If I deserve the criticism, let me realize it so that I may change my ways. If I do not deserve it, pray let me be gracious in being vindicated, in imitation of your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIC_A0WNY1s

No comments:

Post a Comment