Thursday, January 31, 2013

Day 128: Good Bad Or Indifferent, A Promise Is A Promise

Day 128: Good Bad Or Indifferent, A Promise Is A Promise

Read: Jeremiah 42:4 - 6, Mark 9:33 - 37

There is one thing in particular that I am noticing over the past week or so and that is this: Our words come so easy, often uttered without any thought or sincerity behind them. When we are confronted with difficult situations or unknowns, we cry out to God saying, “God just show me what I should do and no matter what I will do it.” “No matter what”? Really? Do we really mean those words? What is going on inside the heart that is faced with the worst possible scenario? There are things going on in life that Momma and Poppa never explained to us. We make promises if promises will get us out of crisis. But, promises are not made to be broken. Whatever the consequence they are meant to be kept.

God keeps His. He expects us to keep ours. A Promise Made! Really? Are you sure you want to do that? Are you ready to keep it? Good, bad or indifferent you have now put your feet to the fire of accountability and integrity? Are you really ready to make your word your true bond no matter the consequence? We shall see! Jeremiah 42:5-6 “So they said to Jeremiah, ‘Let the LORD be a true and faithful witness between us, if we do not do according to everything which the LORD your God sends us by you. Whether it is pleasing or displeasing, we Will obey the voice of the LORD our God to whom we send you, that it may be well with us when we obey the voice of the LORD our God.’”

They came to the prophet Jeremiah asking counsel; while their minds were already decided on what they were going to do that is to seek refuge in Egypt. A person who asks for advice should be honest and not have a predetermined course of action or agenda. As I found out last night at any given time anyone of us can get a phone call from someone asking for much needed assistance. I was only 15 minutes away from dinner when I got a call from someone at the church I attend. Someone had come in off the street seeking somebody to pray for him. As a Spiritual Leader of my church I agreed to come in and help him out. I had no idea of his needs, he was in distress. That is all that mattered to my heart.

I am, and I expect that many of you are as well, as Christians who have accepted the Father Son and Holy Spirit into your heart, you made a promise, perhaps unspoken, but a promise none the less, to do as Mark 9:35 tells us: 'Sitting down, He called the twelve and He said to them, “If anyone wants to be first, he shall be last of all and be servant of all.” At a time like last night, I was reminded by the Holy Spirit that I made a promise to God, to make every effort to strive to live out the Gospel life and that I was kinda sorta obligated to fulfill a role as a servant of prayer for this young father of four. Good, bad, indifferent, it was for me be obedient to the promise I made to God and neighbor, to set myself aside.

Let Us Pray: Father, Son and Holy Spirit, a promise made is to be a promise kept. In the truest spirit of the Gospel message, let this is my solemn plea, God of power and mercy, only with your help can we offer you fitting service and praise. May we live the faith we profess and trust your promise of eternal life. I humbly ask that You may find favor with me and grant this plea through our One Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. AMEN.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3UxfvNbBx0

No comments:

Post a Comment