Monday, January 14, 2013

Day 111: El Elyon, God Most High: A View From The High Place

Day 111: El Elyon, God Most High: A View From The High Place

Read: Psalms 18:30-36, Habakkuk 3:17 - 19

Have you ever been high? I mean what is the highest you have ever been in your life? I mean really high? I have been incredibly high on more than a few occasions and I have discovered that it adds a certain clarity to your vision, there is very little like the experience of standing high above the crowd and being able to see for miles. O wait a minute, I just realized something about what I just said and how I just said it. My spirit just got the distinct impression that some of you might misinterpret what I was talking about when I asked about being 'high'. What did you think I meant? I realize that the question opens the door to a few heads being scratched such as regarding the use of illicit drugs.

But, no, this has never been the case at any point in my life. What I was referring to were the geographical high places - valley overlooks, tall hills, high mountain roads, top of the Empire State Building, The Washington Monument, The Grand Canyon, sky rides at amusement parks and so on. I apologize for having opened the door to this misinterpretation. But that is how it is too with biblical interpretation of mountains and high places. Looking through the Bible there are very frequent references mentioned. It seems like throughout the scriptures that the high points often happen on mountain tops. It was Mount Sinai that God met with Moses gave him the Ten Commandments.

It was on Mount Ararat that the Ark came to a rest when the flood waters subsided. It was on Mount Carmel that the prophet Elijah faced off against the priest of Baal and proved to them the power of God. And Jerusalem is often referred to as God’s Holy Mountain. Time and time again we read several references in the Psalms to mountain tops and high places and what the Lord does, or is fully capable of doing for us if we only accept that possibility and grab hold of it as our own, take ownership of it: 'He makes my feet like those of a deer and gives me sure footing on high places.' (18:33). 'He makes my feet like those of a deer. He makes me walk on the mountains.' (3:19b)

In the New Testament we are often told that Jesus went up to the Mountain to pray and we read in Mark 9:2-3 Six days later Jesus took Peter, James, and John, and led them up a high mountain to be alone. As the men watched, Jesus’ appearance was transformed, and his clothes became dazzling white. And people often talk about Mountain top experiences meaning a high point in their life whether it is spiritual, relational or in regard to their career reaching some 'ultimate' pinnacle. But the bible is clear that God’s blessings, including heaven, are available for all God’s people and His people are people who've a deepening desire for a higher relationship with Him.

Let Us Pray:

Psalm 121:1 - 2
1 I look up toward the mountains.
Where can I find help? [for ..... and identify and surrender your joys and concerns]
2 My help comes from the Lord,
the maker of heaven and earth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa1hABLMzDE
I Will Lift My Eyes - Bebo Norman | With Lyrics
www.youtube.com
I lift up my eyes to the hills... where does my help come from? My help comes from the LORD, the
I Will Lift My Eyes - Bebo Norman | With Lyrics
www.youtube.com
I lift up my eyes to the hills... where does my help come from? My help comes from the LORD, the

No comments:

Post a Comment