Sunday, January 20, 2013

Day 117: Secret To A Successful Christian Life: Quit Minding Your Own Business

Day 117: Secret To A Successful Christian Life: Quit Minding Your Own Business

Read: Luke 2:40 - 49

Have you ever had someone tell you to mind your own business? I think all of us have had that experience. Usually it happens because someone else believes we are getting involved in things that don’t concern us. We ought not be the kind of people who are always (operative word being 'always') trying to find out what is going on with someone else. But I desire for you to understand and consider that one of the greatest problems in our homes, neighborhoods, communities and churches today is Christians who spend a little too much time minding their own business. You say , if I am not to mind my own business than whose business am I to mind? Perhaps it is time to mind more of God's!!

Let’s look at our text for this morning. Jesus was twelve years old. He was strong in spirit, filled with wisdom, and the grace of God was upon Him. Both Joseph and Mary decided Jesus was old enough to travel with them to Jerusalem for the feast of the Passover. But then it came time to leave. Joseph and Mary headed home not even realizing that Jesus was yet in Jerusalem. They were quite probably travelling with a caravan for the Bible says they supposed Him to have been in the company. When one full day had passed they began to ask people if they had seen Jesus. Vs. 45 tells us that when they found Him not they quickly returned to Jerusalem seeking Him out.

Now imagine how they must have felt. There would be frantic searches, sleepless nights. All of the same emotions and difficulties that parents of today would feel. For three days they did not know where Jesus was. After three days they found Jesus. He was sitting in the temple among the doctors and scholars of the temple. And they were astonished at His understanding and answers. Next, notice what His parents said when they found him. Verse 48: 'When his parents saw him, they were shocked.
His mother asked him, “Son, why have you done this to us? Your father and I have been worried sick looking for you!” Jesus said 'I was minding my Father's business.'

Jesus said to His parents, " I must be about my Father’s business." I pray you to know today that that statement sums up the secret to a successful Christian life. 'I must be about my Father’s business.' You have heard it sung that there is no business like show business like no business I know. Friends, I want you to comprehend that there is no business like God’s business. Yet far too many Christians are more concerned about their own business then they are God’s. They make time for all the things they want to do and squeeze God in here and there. It is the will of God for every believer that we quit minding too much of our own business to start minding God’s business.

Let Us Pray: O Almighty and Everlasting God, Creator of Heaven, Earth, help me to be, to think, to act what is right, because it is right. Make me truthful, honest, and honorable in all things; make me intellectually honest for the sake of right and honor and without thought of reward to me. Give me the ability to be charitable, forgiving, and patient with my fellow men. Help me to truly and more clearly understand their motives and their shortcomings, even as you truly and more clearly understand mine! Help me to be successful in Your Kingdom to come on earth as it is in Heaven. Amen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs1XRyIvEfU

No comments:

Post a Comment