Saturday, January 19, 2013

Day 116: Knowing The Simplest Gift For Life: Obeying Your Thirst

Day 116: Knowing The Simplest Gift For Life: Obeying Your Thirst

Read: John 4:5 - 24, Psalms 63

Emails. We all get them in some form or another on our computers, our smart phone or I Pad. In some form being those we get from accepted sources, those we get from sources of a suspicious nature and down right spam - truest possible junk. Just a few years ago, I received a story forwarded and then forwarded again from a friend of mine. I do not remember specifically why he sent it to me and for whatever reason, I ended up storing it. Something then, I guess, just said keep it for another day. So for whatever reason this morning, as I was reading today's Scripture passage from John, It was sent right back into my spirit. So, in obedience to the Spirit of God, here it is. Drink in it's lesson for your life.
 
A small boy is sent to bed by his father. Five minutes later.... "Da-ad...." "What is it?" "I’m thirsty. Can you bring drink of water?" "No. You had your chance. Lights out." Five minutes later: "But Da-aaad....." "WHAT?" "I’m THIRSTY. Can I have a drink of water??" "I told you NO!" If you ask me again, I’ll have to come in and spank you!!" So Five minutes later......"Daaaa-aaaad....." "WHAT NOW!" "When you come in to spank me, can you pleeease just bring me a drink of water?" I am not sure why in particular
I recalled this, or its relevance here save maybe some memory of my childhood when I was very thirsty too, Mom said I could not get out of bed and I really truly needed a drink so I could get to sleep.

Even today, on a cold Saturday morning in January, We all thirst for something… We all thirst to feel loved, We all thirst to experience happiness and joy and we all desperately search for meaning and significance from time to time. And there are those times in life where the thirst just does not go away or does not get satisfied, or we choose to ignore it. Some years ago I remember SPRITE in one of its marketing campaigns had tried to entice the general public to buy with it’s slogan, “Image is nothing. Thirst is everything. OBEY YOUR THIRST!”. (like sugared-up, fizzy, lemon-lime beverage has the ability to satisfy the deep longings of your soul! – Geesh!) "OBEY YOUR THIRST!" Drink from God's Well!

Many people do obey their thirst. They drink up what everyone around them calls love, they pursue what their neighbors call happiness, and they try to find meaning and significance as defined by television or social media sites. A Samaritan woman went to get some water. Jesus said to her, “Give me a drink of water.” The woman was skeptical of who Jesus was, and why He would make such a request or expect a kindness from one that Jews would never associate with. Jesus replied to her, “If you only knew what God’s gift is and who is asking you for a drink, you would have asked him for a drink. He would have given you living water.” Obeying your thirst? Do you drink of this gift of God's life?

Let Us Pray: Psalms 63

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKioQPEW4do

No comments:

Post a Comment