Saturday, January 26, 2013

Day 123: The Rule Of Your 'Rather'

Day 123: The Rule Of Your 'Rather' - Your Personality versus God's Principle

Read: Hebrews 11:23 - 29, Philippians 2:5 - 13

As I was reading and studying today's Scripture, there was a word and a theme that kept jumping out at me. The theme seemed to be centered around the word 'Rather' from (25): He chose to suffer with God’s people rather than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a little while. From verse 23, Moses' mother had been presented with a choice of obeying Pharaoh's order and risk his life or hiding Moses. Rather than risk the life of her 'beautiful baby', she risked her own life and hid the child for three months. It is very interesting that this passage is worded the way it is. The people are presented with a chance to choose rather or not they would make significant personal sacrifice. These passages are very significant.

I mean I really believe you should take some time and consider this. There are some things that we would rather do than others - can I please get an Amen here? In my school days I would have rather watched television than crack a book and read my homework assignment. I would rather wait until the very last minute of the very last day to study for a final exam. I would rather eat a whole pepperoni pizza than a plate full of Broccoli. I would rather eat anything else in the world but never my spinach. I would rather go to Hawaii than Iceland. If we are being handed a God given choice to one thing rather than the other, 99 times out of 100 we will choose only what we like, that which is not likely to hurt us.

No pain, No gain? Absolutely positively NOT because I'm very sure I can gain without feeling any of the pain. Look at Adam and Eve. They had a choice obey God or listen to the serpent. Take a bite of the forbidden fruit and a taste of the knowledge of good and evil or saying "Thanks but no thanks I would rather not." Rather than be content with what God had given them (Paradise!) they chose to disobey God because they wanted to have more personal pleasure and comfort, knowledge and power, motive and opportunity for selfish personal and worldly gain. We make choices every day as to who will govern our principle versus personality battles, our 'rather' opportunities, choosing when nobody is looking.

Sometimes, we would rather do wrong do we not? That ¡s when our old nature is in control. But when we let God take over our new nature, through the life teachings of Jesus Christ we would rather take the time to more carefully reconsider, re-prioritize what is for our selfish personal gain looking more toward the needs of others and do His will for the sake of our families, friends and neighbors. His desires become our desires. His way becomes our way. Jesus had his principle versus personality, rather moment when He had that conversation with His Father "would you rather have all the comforts of your heavenly home or would You rather sacrifice all You are for the sake of love? Jesus chose to love.

Let Us Pray: Lord God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, I am facing a difficult decision in my life, and I do not know what road to take. You have given me the awesome power to choose freely as well as the intelligence to choose wisely. Inspire me to make the right decision no matter what it may be. Please let me carefully weigh the reasons on all sides from a human point of view, and then rely on your grace for divine help. When the decision has been reached, let me not look back, in the firm knowledge that I've done my part and have made a right decision in your eyes. Amen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Acwc_QAkEr8

No comments:

Post a Comment