Monday, January 7, 2013

Day 104: A Letter to a God with no name, "To An Unknown God"

Day 104: A Letter to a God with no name, "To An Unknown God"

Read: Acts: 17:22 - 31

Dear Unknown God with no name(?),

I don’t know about you... but I am a Star Trek fan. In fact, one of my favorite child hood memories was sitting in front of my parent's television and waiting for NBC to send me to someplace I had never been before. As a five year old, this was a pretty big thing for me then. My whole world then was pretty much the house I lived in with my parents and two other sisters. The thought of being transported or whisked away to some strange unknown planet was genuinely exciting for this little impressionable boy. As the movies were being released into the theaters, I tried hard to be as close to the front as possible. To boldly venture somewhere no one had ventured before. "Boldly go where no man had gone before"

Don’t we all feel that way sometimes. That we are boldly going where no man or woman has gone before. That we are venturing head long and head strong into the great unknown. Here we are just seven days into a new year... we are surrounded with so many unknowns. In just a couple of weeks a new Presidential term will begin. How will he lead us? What decisions will he make that will effect us and so many others? A new economy? Will there be enough for me when I retire? How will we take care of our families, ourselves and their college education which gets more and more expensive every year? To boldly venture forth where no one dared venture before?

And then there are the great unknowns that are in our personal lives. Then there are the great unknowns yet to be revealed. And whenever we face the Great Unknown, there are those certain emotions that fill us. Fear, anxiety, excitement, stress. But, the reality is life is full of unknowns. Life is filled with more twists and turns, bends and curves than you can shake the proverbial stick at. So, God, what about you? I've heard that GOD is like Coke...He’s the real thing. GOD is like General Electric...He brings things to life. GOD is like Bayer Aspirin...He works wonders from within. GOD is like Hallmark Cards...He cares enough to send the very best. So, God, who are you? How is it that we should make you known?

We laugh this morning, but as I read that I thought about Paul, who was trying to explain 'An Unknown God' to a group of people who had no idea who He was, what His name was, What He did, or what He was going to do. Or how with this new found knowledge their lives were somehow going to be transformed, their lives were going to be made new. Paul had to try to find a way to present the gospel to the people of Athens in a format that they would ultimately understand. So, God, As I read this passage it struck me that awesome responsibility that we all have as a Christian to boldly venture forth into the great unknown, to teach them about their Unknown God.

Let Us Pray: Dear God, My greatest desire is to strive to understand You, to know who You are as my God, in a way that causes Your wisdom and power to be joined with the people of God who are now laboring in Your harvest fields. The understanding I need is not just for learning -- it’s for the purpose of survival. The knowledge I do have helps me to understand how critically important it is to reach out to You asking for the understanding only You can give -- the understanding that sees Your will in heaven being accomplished right here on this earth. Help me to make You known.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UAu5KSc7Kc
I Want To Know You - Jesus Culture w/ Lyrics
www.youtube.com
I Want To Know You by Jesus Culture with lyrics. This video is good for both personal and group

No comments:

Post a Comment