Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Day 322: He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?”

Day 322: He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?”

Read: Matthew 16:13 - 20

He looked at His disciples and in a moment of reflection said: "Who do men say that I am?" The disciples begin sharing with Jesus what they have heard from the people who have been following Jesus: Some say that You are Elijah; others say John the Baptist, still others Jeremiah or one of the prophets. It’s always been this way, Jesus as seen by the masses is seen in so many different ways. You can speak of Jesus as prophet, holy man, teacher, or spiritual leader, and few will object including us who regularly read and diligently study their Bibles. Speak of Him as Son of God, divine, of the same nature as the Father, and people will line up to loudly express their disapproval.

Jesus then turns the tables on his disciples, turns his back to who the world says he is, stares straight into their eyes and pointedly asks the disciples, “But who do you say that I am?” This is where the rubber meets the road folks! From the Amplified Bible this verse reads "But who do you [yourselves] say that I am?" He is asking each of these disciples on an individual basis "But who am I to YOU?" This is not a collective question meant for any prolonged small group discussion! He is looking at Peter, James, John and the rest to examine their own individual hearts. To go off alone to their own corners of the wilderness. Examine their hearts, ask, "But, who really is this Jesus to me?"

This is the question I have for those of you who have been drawn to this page. "But, who really is Jesus to you?" Do not ask your wife or your husband. Do not ask your children, your co-workers, best friends or worst enemies. Do not ask your Pastor or Rabbi as the case may be. Ask only yourself! This is solely between you and Jesus Christ
(Matthew 6:6 - 13). Look in a mirror and ask "But, who really is Jesus to you?" How long do you believe it would take for you to return the blank stare you just received? Feeling convicted by that blank stare? Cannot keep your head up long enough to stare back for you already know the answer? "But, I don't know who this Jesus really is to me!"

Yeah, truth be told right now, I am not sure I could keep holding my head up long enough either. Right now, I am not sure that I could nearly be as confident as Peter was when he was the very first to confess, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." I feel more like part of the remaining disciples who were not confident enough to say
one word fearing I would surely say the wrong thing the wrong way and Jesus would then sharply rebuke my weak response. It is something for me to really cry about. Just who really is this Jesus to me apart from the real world? I feel as though Jesus is staring back at me right now. His eyes do not leave mine. He is quietly awaiting my answer.

Let Us Pray: Psalm 15 (Amplified). Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy upon me though the chief of sinners I am condemned to be. Hear my plea!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp_waW8NIo0

No comments:

Post a Comment