Saturday, August 3, 2013

Day 303: I am What/Who I am ONLY By The Grace Of God!

Day 303: I am What/Who I am ONLY By The Grace of God!

Read: Psalm 18:1 - 3, Ephesians 2:8 - 10

Today my friends I find myself living with a very reflective spirit. It is also somewhat troubled too. I have been reflecting on these words of David from Psalm 18 for the past couple of days now. I have always enjoyed the words to this magnificent song, I am only lately beginning to more fully plumb the depths of its meaning to me as a 'good' Christian. While he didn't come right out and say it, he is telling us just in case we, when while somewhere along the way got too wrapped up in the overwhelming busyness of daily lives just plain forgot - to remind us of the most critically important fact of the Christians life. I am what I am, I am who I am, only by the grace of God!

One of the very first reminders that comes directly upon your 'good' life living as a 'good' Christian is that first God is definitely still on sitting on His throne and there is no room for us. God is the One who is exalted here. God is the only one meant to be exalted here! Take some time to read and then re-read, reflect upon the first three verses alone. David first writes " I love you Lord,' to set the stage. He is not looking in any mirror and saying this to himself as we are so apt to do. David's saying directly to I/us today - I am what I am, I am who I am, we are what we are, we are who we are because of all the incomprehensible magnificence of God. The "I AM who I Am."

Keep plumbing the depths of those first three verses alone. These three verse reach the “high water mark” of the Old Testament. Notice how David heaps up words as he so thunderously describes what God has done for him, what God absolutely means to him. David is expressing the spaciousness of his heart, singing highest praises to the Lord. It is as though he is winding himself up, getting himself so completely psyched out, whipping himself up into such an absolute frenzy, dancing ceaselessly around room after room, outside, inside his house to accomplish one very specific purpose at one specific moment to fulfill one specific objective: Praise God! Praise "I AM who I AM"!

I cannot comprehend the magnitude of David's heart at the moment he wrote these words. It just seems to be so far, too far, from where my heart is today. I'm not at all sure I could whip up my heart into such a frenzied state. I am not even sure what it would take to do that. When you consider the incomprehensible magnitude of your own "I am what I am, I am who I am", what hard truths do you wind up discovering as you read, re-read, and reflect upon those first three verses? "If I am 'good', then God will do good things for me?" Reflect then on these words: "For it is by grace that you have been saved, through FAITH, and this is not from yourselves, but it is a gift from God!"

Let Us Pray: Loving and Gracious God, how can we thank You enough for all of what we are, all of who we are, because of the absolute All that You are? How are we to begin to plumb the depths of, comprehend all that David's heart felt when he wrote these words from this Psalm? You have gathered us in, from the east, and from the west, from the north and from the south, to be Your people. Like a loving Parent, You have sustained all of our needs - sharing Your great love with us, satisfying our thirst and filling our hunger with good things. Help us to be less like ourselves and more like You. Help us Lord, to heed Your call to live and become Your resurrection people that we might find deliverance, not through ourselves, but ONLY through Christ our Lord.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJbj7BVleK8

No comments:

Post a Comment