Saturday, December 1, 2012

Day 67: Obviously True Or False: God Can Be Trusted?

Day 67: Obviously True Or False: God Can Be Trusted?

Read: Genesis 3:1 - 13

Way back when in the annals of my very earliest school days, there was always one thing that I absolutely dreaded and that was anything that resembled a quiz or a test. It did not particularly matter what form it took - multiple choice, fill in the blank, essay or solving math problems or true and false. The fact yet remained that testing in any form in any of my classes was far from the list of my favorite school related activities. Everyday of school seemed to end with every teacher I ever had giving me homework which I hated to do. I never liked telling my Mom that I had it - I would even lie to her that it waited to be done. The worst came when I had to work hard to remember it for a pop quiz.

If there were any tests that I felt I had a more than reasonable chance of success at were the one's which only required a 'true' or 'false' response because there was a fifty fifty chance I would be right all the time - and that was a good thing. One of the responses to the questions being asked was always worded in such an obvious way that it could not help but be the correct answer. Read the question, look for the only obvious answer, recognize the obviously correct answer, feel proud of your self for knowing the obviously right answer, circle the obviously right answer hand in the test feeling good about all your right answers, the results come back - some are wrong.

A true false test - one answer represents the very truth and the other is a bold lie. It seems obvious in the beginning which one is which - which is the truth, which the lie. What if we do not know enough to ask questions or are too naive, too accepting of the obvious that we fail to acknowledge the presence of alternative possibilities right before our eyeballs? What if we overlook or fail to consider that what is obvious to us may not be so obvious to everyone else? What if everyone else had the obviously one right answer and out of spite we simply refused to acknowledge or accept our wrong responses and to accept and to trust the obviously correct need to change our minds?

The condition of the world today is a far-cry from the Garden of Eden. When God had created the world and man, He rightly said all things were “very good.” No more sin, no sorrow, no suffering, no hatred, no hunger. Today, however is a different matter. The condition of today’s world has caused many to distrust God. They distrust His... Goodness- if God was truly good why would He allow the suffering? They distrust His Power - if God was really powerful why would He not stop the pain? But this distrust began in the Garden through the deception of a cunning adversary. The serpent only asked Eve a true false question: can God be trusted? Your answer: obviously True or obviously False?

Let Us Pray: O God of all creation, help me to trust You more. By Your Grace, allow me to trust myself trusting in you when things do not turn out the way I obviously felt they should have. Help me to stop doubting You and getting mad at You. Reveal to me and help me to recognize the obvious Ways, the obvious Truths of living my life in a manner that obviously reflects the image of Your Son Jesus Christ to those I do meet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZn8AjKdyaU

No comments:

Post a Comment