Saturday, December 29, 2012

Day 95: His Name Is Called Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh, I Am That I Am

Day 95: His Name Is Called Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh, I Am That I Am

Read: Exodus 3:1 - 15

Ever seen something that you could not quite figure out? I am not speaking of what would otherwise consider to be a passing curiosity "I wonder what that is? Look at it for a short period, shrug your shoulders and move on without any second thoughts" passing curiosity that ends up relegated to the back of your mind and forgotten? You see something off in the distance that arouses a brief moment of curiosity and all you know is that you feel compelled to go on some short or extended journey of discovery to satisfy some irresistible "I don't know why I went, I just knew I had to get there!" impulse? Something or maybe Someone is calling out to you "Let's have a little chat."

So, the journey of Moses begins as I am reasonably sure it had begun for each of us at one time or another in our lives. High school students who start to look at Colleges, graduates who start to look at serious career opportunities away from home, intrepid individuals who look to the Armed Forces for what they consider the honor and one of a kind opportunity to serve their country in a way they feel will almost surely make a difference in someones life. Perhaps the person gets excited, begins looking forward to beginning a second career after a long and fruitful first. Perhaps they are finding themselves close to retirement and feel sure that there is so much more they can do.

'Moses was taking care of the sheep of his father-in-law Jethro, the priest of Midian. As he led the sheep to the far side of the desert, he came to Horeb, the mountain of God. The Messenger of the Lord appeared to him there as flames of fire coming out of a bush. Moses looked, and although the bush was on fire, it was not burning up. So he thought, “Why isn’t this bush burning up? I must go over there and see this strange sight.” When the Lord saw that Moses had come over to see it, God called to him from the bush, “Moses, Moses!” Moses answered, “Here I am!” (verses 1 - 4)'

When Moses conversed with God by the burning bush he asked the Lord a question: “Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them? And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.” Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh, I AM that I AM has come forth from the depths of eternity and placed Himself, in no uncertain terms, into relationship, square into the lives of all mankind. A burning bush that does not turn to ashes, Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh, getting curious yet?

To the Hebrew people the statement “I AM” became a very holy phrase. They would refuse to say this word as they believed the Name of God was too holy to repeat. So, what does it mean? It is the expression of what God is, the sum of His being and the greatest of all His names. This name encompasses all of God's other names as He emphatically declares Himself to be more than we could ever begin to comprehend. "Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh, I AM that I AM, I AM God who was, who is, and who will always be and you O man are not and can never be!" So, just what is it that we should be so
curiously drawn? The miracle of finding your burning bush, finding your greater I AM waiting for you.

Let Us Pray: Dear God, I don’t know much about You, who You truly were, are, or always will be. But then again I don’t know much about who I am either. Like Moses, I am willing to a bit more curious today to give as much of myself as I can allowing myself to surrender more of who 'I am' to Your 'I AM' that I may be more complete. To as much of the greater I AM as I understand. Thank You ever so much for accepting me as I am.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2Yh4exnBU0

No comments:

Post a Comment