Thursday, December 27, 2012

Day 93: His Name Is Called Adonai Hi(e)zki(e), The Lord Is My Strength

Day 93: His Name Is Called Adonai Hi(e)zki(e), The Lord Is My Strength

Read: Psalm 59:10 - 17, 2 Samuel 22:31 - 37, 2 Corinthians 12:1 - 10

I love superheroes. My mom once told of the times I would go out into the yard with a either a bath towel tied around my neck or anything that would pass for a cape and would “fly” all around the yard. From the time I was a kid until my mid twenties I would collect and read a whole host of comic books about superheroes, watched TV shows and cartoons and went to the movies to watch them battle for truth, justice and the American way. In fact, I still do, albeit allot quieter than I did long ago. If I had to assign any particular reason for such a long standing fascination, aside from just being a boyish thing, I believe I would attribute it to a strong inner desire and love for a sense of invulnerability and strength.

We continually seek out ways to increase our strength. Weaknesses are to be hidden and ashamed of. We live in a world where only the strong survive. But the Bible tells us that God works through our weaknesses. 'Who is God but the Lord? Who is a rock other than our God? God arms me with strength. His perfect way sets me free.' 'O my strength, I will make music to praise you! God is my stronghold, my merciful God!' His name is called Adonai Hizki, The Lord Is My Strength whom the Psalmist sings about in Psalm 59:16 'I will sing about your strength. In the morning I will joyfully sing about your
 mercy. You have been my stronghold and a place of safety in times of trouble.'

Paul’s letters to Timothy offers some specific instructions as well as some final pieces of advice that Paul is passing on to Timothy. Paul’s main objective was for Timothy to learn that he must allow God to be his strength. We must allow God to strengthen us if we are to effective in His service. Why? Because, in life, there are many different occasions when we will have a need for strength, whether it be physical, mental or emotional. We need strength to accomplish a specific task. We will need the strength of Adonai Hizki to overcome the host of "What If'" moments in our life that threaten to keep our eyes forever peeled to the ground instead of up where we can look for God.

Often the world considers weakness to be a terrible intruder into life. For too many people the problems of life are viewed as nothing more than minus factors. But the Christian perspective of weakness is not pessimistic. Paul experienced a thorn in the flesh, and this weakness made him strong. He learned how to be strong in the midst of his broken places. His weaknesses did not destroy him. With God’s help he gained strength out of his weaknesses. Thus, there seems to be two alternatives: weakness can either keep us down or make us strong. Let us learn from one who was broken and made strong how we may benefit from the weaknesses of life, our Adonai Hizki!

Let Us Pray for the strength of The Adonai Hizki. Let our hearts and voices rise up to sing alongside the heart of the Psalmist to Adonai Hizki the God who is our strength:

Do not look forward to what may happen tomorrow; the same everlasting Father who cares for you today will take care of you tomorrow and every day. For either He will shield you from suffering, or He will give you His unfailing strength to bear it. Be at peace, then. Put aside all anxious thoughts and imaginations, and say continually: "The Lord is my strength and my shield and my song. My heart has trusted in Him, I am helped. Adonai Hizki is not only with me in weakness but in me giving me strength
and I in Him." For I can do all things through The Adonai Hizki who gives me strength.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u19kJccliYo
When I am Weak then I am Strong
www.youtube.com
Inspired by Paul's words in 2 Corinthians 12. Original song and video copyright 2009, Sandy Alexander.

No comments:

Post a Comment