Thursday, July 26, 2012

Day 39: The Best Things In Life Are: Not To Be Feared!

Day 39: The Best Things In Life Are: Not To Be Feared

Read: Genesis 3:8 - 10

This morning I find myself going back to the beginning of the Bible. I am focusing in on verse 8. What stands out for me is that man heard the sound of the Lord God walking in the garden and the man and the woman became afraid and tried to find the biggest tree, their best hiding place from the voice of God, the Lord's presence.

I mean - WOW!!! First thing is they were afraid. The second thing is they tried to hide their fear amongst the trees in the garden. The third thing that gets to me is that they did not want God to know anything about it. The fourth thing is their best attempt at hiding their fear from the presence of the Lord - Did not even work! Five seems to be that they were more afraid of their fear than God finding them for they responded immediately when God called them out from their best hiding place.

You see men and women have this habit of running away. How many times have you known you had to do something, easy or difficult, but tried to get out of it? Because it was uncomfortable for you to do…you tried to pretend that it didn’t exist, you were not in the mood to deal with it. We all have done it. We call in sick to work to spend time elsewhere, or we put off those chores that need done to go to the movies. I know I am not the only guilty one here. I see my overgrown yard and think Oi Vei!! Sometimes it’s too hard to come out of hiding and admit I have something I need to get taken care of! We hide behind the trees instead, not willing to face up to it.

We act this way with God as well you know. “Well, I know I need to get right with God, but I need to get some things under control first.” We tell ourselves. Maybe you have said to yourself, “I just don’t know how to make it right again.” So we hide ourselves from God. We can pretend He isn’t there, or act as though we will fix ourselves back up when we can and then present ourselves to God when we are ready. As though we could ever hope to fix ourselves in the first place. But it’s so hard it seems to get down on our knees and admit we need help! We choose to hide because it’s “easier”. But will we ever be ready enough to come out from behind the trees?

Does this sound like anything you know about? What would you feel like doing? Adam immediately came out from behind his best hiding place when he was called by God. God already knew where he was. He already knew Adam had chosen to do what God said not to do. God was simply asking why are you not coming to talk with me. He asked Adam then and each of us today: Why are you trying so hard to hide from me?

He knew Adam was afraid. He simply came to the garden as He did before, looking to spend time with His friend Adam. He came with compassion asking Adam to come to Him and not hide in fear. Today God does this with us. We all have hidden at one point or another. We try to avoid the reality that we need to come to God. But the truth is God is waiting on us not to judge us, but to rescue us. Not because we have done anything to be worth rescue, but because He loves us even in our darkest moments. Keep in mind: God knows all of our very best, most secret hiding places.

Today, as you pray, please do not hesitate to respond to the voice of God. Come out of your very best of hiding places and tell Him: "Today, I am afraid of ..." Draw me closer to your side. Come out from behind the trees into the presence of the Lord.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3uMpiewYOY

No comments:

Post a Comment