Saturday, July 14, 2012

Day 27: About those little things in life, O Lord ...

Day 27: About those little things in life, O Lord ....

Read: Psalm 8, Matthew 6:25 - 34

What can a penny still buy today? Are there still any of those penny gumball machines
around that I remember from my youth? I have been collecting pennies in a large jar
for years and the jar is nearly three quarters filled. I have no earthly idea how much money I have in the jar but I do know that it is very heavy. I have no idea when it will be filled, or even what to do with it when it is. Maybe if I save them long enough I can
take them somewhere and buy the wife brand new mini van. How funny that would be taking $25,000 in pennies to some automobile show room and say 'we want to buy
that one -- but only in the green color and with these options. How about that.. crazy?

Did you know: As of 2012, it costs the U.S. Mint 2.41 cents to make a cent because of the cost of materials and production. The loss in profitability due to producing the one cent coin in the United States for the year of 2011 is $60,200,000. This is an increase from 2010, the year before, which had a production loss of $27,400,000?

I do not know maybe that amount of money is just a small blip in the overall picture or maybe it is because Abraham Lincoln is on the back and we don't want to cast him away. After all we celebrate his birthday every year with pennies on the dollar sales. The little penny will always be around because people still charge $ .99 for stuff. But the overall value of a little penny will probably never be worth the same anymore and there is nothing we ourselves can do that will bring the slightest change to that.

It got me to praying this morning; Lord... in all the great expanse of eternity, why is it that you should spend even the smallest worrying about little ole me? On this Your earth, O Lord, on which I am one of the littlest of things living here, Why should you take the time away from eternity to look upon my frailty and find a pennies worth of reason to care about who I am. Why O Lord do you worry but even for the briefest of moments that I may not be feeling enough of Your great love in my life, that I have not been blessed enough today, that today you will place before me, you will reveal before my eyes blessings so numerous that there are not enough grains of sand on the seashore or pennies in the world that I should be able to place them before me & count them? I am blown away by such an awesome feeling of worth as this.

My friends, we do not often take even the smallest time to care about the little things in life. We don't usually take the time to assign any real meaningful value to them. But as today's two Scripture readings makes abundantly clear ... God absolutely places the very highest of values on the even the smallest things (us) that lives in His Creation. He will always place the absolute fullest of His eternal attentions to watch over us.

4 What are human beings that you are mindful of them,
   mortals that you care for them?
5 Yet you have made them a little lower than God,
   and crowned them with glory and honour.
6 You have given them dominion over the works of your hands;
   you have put all things under their feet,
7 all sheep and oxen,
   and also the beasts of the field,
8 the birds of the air, and the fish of the sea,
   whatever passes along the paths of the seas.


9Lord, our Sovereign,
   how majestic is your name in all the earth! (Psalm 8:4 - 9)

Today, pray to the Lord that He will reveal His Image of your sacred worth. Hold a penny in your hand and pray this Psalm. Pray to Him who is eternally vigilant on your behalf to place in your heart God's eternal perspective that every little thing about your life has the greatest of importance to God. Lift before Him your life and be blessed. Remember always that while you may not have a penny's worth of value in the eyes of others, you'll absolutely always have the very greatest of value in the eyes of God! His Eye is on the Sparrow and I know He watches me.
http://www.youtube.com/user/howlegh1?v=tTCmf8iEMm8&feature=pyv&ad=9549747153&kw=his+eye+is+on+the+sparrow+lyrics

"His Eye is on the Sparrow"
Greg Howlett
www.youtube.com
Greg Howlett is a Christian concert pianist and has recorded five CDs. He also has a live concert recorded for TV that is currently showing on TV networks around the

No comments:

Post a Comment