Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Day 183: Our Response To Christ's Authority

Day 183: Our Response To Christ's Authority

Read: Matthew 21:23 - 27

How do you respond to authority figures? Each of us has those who are in authority over us. We have our parents. We have our bosses at work who have their bosses over them. For all you husbands out there, we have our wives. Even while Christ has authority over us men as head of the household as Christ is head of the church, my wonderful wife will tell me that while I am the 'head of the household according to the Book of Ephesians, she is the neck that turns the head and the cook that feeds the
rest of the body. I suppose she has me there because my singularly best efforts in my kitchen weren't making it. So, friends, How is it that we respond to those in authority? How should we be responding?

I have come to know from the moment we started to date, I deeply loved her and I realized it was only a matter of time when God and our Pastor said: "In the name of the Father, and of the Son and the Holy Spirit, I pronounce you husband and wife. It was my response to the authority of God in heaven who gave me the greatest gift on earth - my wife. My response was obedience to the will of God that we should both become as one as God in heaven is One with His Son Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit.
How do you respond to authority--whether your parents, or your boss, or your spouse But above all things, how do we/you respond to the authority of Christ upon your life? How should we respond?

Do we recognize the authority of Jesus from verses 23-27 - do we see him as Lord? The chief priests refused to acknowledge the authority of Christ. They wanted to just dismiss his power as simply self-induced, because to admit that he had been sent by God would mean that they would need to follow and obey. Today, here and now, as we approach His Passion, as we approach our Easter Son Rise, as we approach the Crucifixion, as we get closer and closer to the to the tomb, how do we view Jesus? Where is the authority over us of this man Jesus Christ whose has been condemned by mankind to die the death reserved only for the very worst of criminals of His day? Please tell me, WHERE???

The only option open to us by Scripture is that Jesus is God, is fully alive today, and requiring the obedience, service, and worship of our lives. If we honestly look at the demands of scripture, there is no way we can lead lives for our own pleasure: Christ never leaves us that option. However, I am still man. I still prefer to keep my options open. I very much believe in the goodness of having options because God gave me my own free will. I do not like to be pigeon holed into just one single make it or break it choice. That is not my human nature and neither is it my wife's. There always have to be more than just one or two possibilities. Well, doesn't there? I guess by your silence, you're wondering too.

Let Us Pray: We admit, O God, the authority we have given to the idolatries of our hearts. We fasten upon things temporal instead of things eternal. We the authority of our own desires instead of seeking Yours. In a world governed by the authority of another persons suffering, we do precious little to alleviate it. We, like the Pharisees of Jesus' day, we want our authority just the way we have always liked it. Help us to see why it should be that Your authority should be the only one to prevail in our lives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDu0dtvrqbk

1 comment:

  1. Amen! Brother Thomas, I enjoyed this post about recognizing Christ's Authority. I believe wholly concerning the authority of Christ, this means walking in obedience to his teachings,the word of God! Thank you for sharing your post with us.

    ReplyDelete