Sunday, March 17, 2013

Day 173: Lighten Up!

Day 173: Lighten Up!

Read: Galatians 5:22 - 26

I guess it is a simplified fact of life that for the most part anyway, we all like being around people who are generally upbeat, don’t we? I mean, if you had your choice of being with someone who had a smile or someone who looked like he was weaned on sour lemons, or cut their teeth with bitter apples or sour grapes, who would you most likely pick to hang out with? I would pick the smiley guy almost every time, and here’s why. One thing I have never been quite able to understand is the notion of a grumpy Christian. Grumpy Christian. To me that seems like an oxymoron on the same level as “jumbo shrimp,” or “plastic glass,” or “congressional budget cuts and no tax hikes”, "birds of a 'single' feather."

It's genuinely very hard for me to understand how someone who claims to be walking with God could be grumpy for any length of time. I mean, I believe God is love 100% of the time, right? If we are to be imitators of the divine, why not we ourselves also? Now let me be very quick to say that I am not talking about sadness. I am not talking about genuine SORROW. And I am not talking about some fake happiness. I would never ever suggest we walk around with a plastic smile on our face pretending that everything is okay all the time. Things happen, things go wrong, and we are faced with heartache and hurt. I’m talking about a basic attitude – how we carry ourselves, how we project the Gospel ourselves.

I want to focus on the everyday attitude we carry with us. Let me ask you a question. How would others characterize your attitude…your “bearing,” if you will? Do they see you living a life of joy, peace, and rest, or do they see someone who looks like they have no hope for today, much less for eternity? Which attitude do you think will be more likely to attract someone to the gospel? Think about it – why would anyone want to be a Christian if the ones he sees are always sullen and grumpy? Can you picture someone with a perpetually long face trying to tell someone the “Good News?” "Okay? You tell me now
What’s so good about it? The prospect of being as cheerful as you are? No thanks! Not interested!"

My purpose today is to encourage you to be the type of person other people point to when they are discussing people they like being around. When it comes to your own relationships with your family, friends, neighbors, co-workers, and even strangers, there are two ways you can go You can walk with your head held high or hung down low to the ground. You can live according to your new life in Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - which means your life will be characterized by the ripened fruits of patience, kindness and goodness, meekness and self control. Consider the difference. Weigh the options - heads held up verses hung low to the ground? Make your decision for God. Which will it be for you today? 

Let Us Pray: Dear God, we pray for the fruits of the Holy Spirit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. We know that these fruits are life’s greatest blessings. May we use these blessings to help others find faith in your Word. May we always feel the presence of the Holy Spirit directing us and guiding us. May we use the gifts that the Spirit offers to help others who struggle with decisions in their own lives. May we do all this in love and service to you and our neighbors, O Lord we pray in the name of Jesus Christ who is our Lord and Savior.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQPj3wJx_9w
Lifesong - Casting Crowns
www.youtube.com
Worship video with lyrics. I produced several videos for use in my small home group. I pray that this video will not only bless you, but bring Glory to

No comments:

Post a Comment