Friday, March 8, 2013

Day 164: "Knowing Me Should Be Your Highest Goal!"

Day 164: "Knowing Me Should Be Your Highest Goal!"

Read: Jeremiah 9:23 - 24

Yesterday, I asked "Are we being Christian Snobs?" Well after a topic like that I just felt that the next logical step would be to talk about 'boasting'. Well, having spent the last hour and a half putting together a devotion about boasting, my browser decided to stop working and I lost my work. It could be that the good Lord above just did not want you to hear my words but His and His alone. So be it. Considering that when we think of boasting, it is usually in a negative way and dictionaries define boasting as “glorifying oneself in speech; or talking in a self-admiring way; or our speaking with excessive pride”, I will humble myself and step back. I will let God take the center stage on this one.

From "Listening To God" by Bruce Bickle. Hear these words because God is the only one wise enough now to be speaking directly to your heart:

"The most important thing for you is to know Me.

On the surface, this may seem to be a simple idea. After all, "you know Me" in the sense that you know about Me from reading my Word or hearing a preacher. That is good! I want you to learn all you can about me so your thoughts of Me will be based
on objective truth, rather than mere speculation.

This But there is another dimension to knowing Me that goes far beyond knowledge. This dimension is where I want you to to go. This should be your highest goal, a kind of knowing that it is based on a deep abiding trust. This only comes from repeated experience with Me, when you have felt my Presence and seen me work in your life.

What I desire - more than anything else - is for you and Me to be so close that when you face a challenge or decision, an obstacle or opportunity, you will automatically think of Me and trust Me. These are the times when you truly know Me."

Let Us Pray: God, I am far too often influenced by what others think of me. I am always pretending to be either richer or smarter or nicer than I really am. Please prevent me from trying to attract attention. Don’t let me gloat over praise on one hand or be discouraged by criticism on the other. Nor let me waste time weaving imaginary situations in which the most heroic, charming, witty person present is myself. Show me how to be humble of heart, and a grateful spirit like yours. Amen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsEcCipD7v0

No comments:

Post a Comment