Monday, September 16, 2013

Day 335: "Who Am I, Lord, That I Should Go...?"

Day 335: "Who Am I, Lord, That I Should Go...?"

Read: Exodus 3:10 - 14, Ephesians 2:4 - 10

One of God's truly great promises of redemption by grace revealed in this one verse, (10)"Therefore, come now, and I will send you to Pharaoh, so that you may bring My people, the sons of Israel, out of Egypt.” I prayerfully ask each of you to consider this awesome verse as you go through this coming week. God's call on Moses' life, God's call on your life. The presence of God is right there before you with the free offer of your redemption by His grace alone. Up close and personal, His great arm is around your shoulder, pulling you, drawing you and me into this time of divine conversation. God is taking control. When one's life is spiraling in complacency, God takes control.

I have a distinct memory of studying this story as a teenager in Hebrew school. I was in the midst of a very bad time in my life having been bullied from seemingly every which direction I could look. I had no friends. Nobody was going out of their way to try to befriend me. Even the principal and the teachers at the synagogue were going out of their way to express their displeasure at my being there. "You do not belong here" was a phrase that unfortunately I became quite accustomed to. Except for a kind and compassionate Rabbi named Isaac Klein, a Cantor named Daniel Gildar, I had zero to look forward to by being there. So I cried, "Who Am I, Lord, that I should go there?"

I was a Christian who had been converted to Judaism then. Now being Christian and studying God's living word in Exodus, like a light bulb going on, I suddenly realized that virtually every detail of God's redemption story, every detail of God's deliverance of His people was dramatically, thunderously, summarized by (4-6) "But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, 5 even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved),." It was one of those moments of stunning enlightenment that has permanently affected my understanding of my relationship with God. It was Moses then. Now, it is me and you.

God created us for companionship and to live in community with each other. God is love. He created us to love and be loved. God does not want us to be separated from Him. He wants us to be a vital, functioning member of His body. God called Moses to bring the Hebrews out of Egypt, offer them a covenant, a promise. First they needed a "first responder." Somebody who could and would tell them a story of their OWN redemption by God's hand alone. Throughout Scripture, God sent many men and women, used their redemption stories, their friendship with Him to spread the good news. I am one God's "first responders" today. Who Am I that the Lord should send me? I am Redeemed!!

Let Us Pray: Spend quality prayer time with the words of King David from Psalm 25. I encourage you to take the time to consider the implications that David's profound words have on your life today. Beginning with "To You, O Lord, I lift up my soul..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ4jOX6f_1s
Redeemed by Big Daddy Weave (with lyrics)
www.youtube.com
"Has the Lord redeemed you? Then speak out! Tell others he has redeemed you from your enemies."
Redeemed by Big Daddy Weave (with lyrics)
www.youtube.com
"Has the Lord redeemed you? Then speak out! Tell others he has redeemed you from your enemies."

No comments:

Post a Comment