Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Day 327: "Behold, The Skin Of His Face Shone, ..."

Day 327: "Behold, The Skin Of His Face Shone,..."

Read: Exodus 34:29 - 35, Luke 9:28 - 36

There is this enduring question that I have in my heart right now. What takes place in us while we spend time in the presence of God that will help us to more effectively communicate the message of God, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit to those are still in darkness? Moses had spent another 40 days on the Mountain of Sinai with God. He
came down the mountain with the tablets of the testimony. He had to cover his face with a veil because the people were in awe and the people were afraid to look upon for fear of death. In Exodus we are awe struck by the radiance on the face of Moses that came from being in the presence of God. It really does reach out and grab you!

I have read and studied a bit of the transfiguration story from Luke 9:28-36 that tells about Jesus going up in the mountain with Peter, James, and John and experiencing the change of his appearance while He was praying. Gradually from the inside out Jesus' total appearance was transfigured with the brilliance of the glory of God. In particular the response of James, John and Peter who had been overcome by sleep; but when they were fully awake they saw Jesus' glory and the two men Moses and Elijah standing with Him. "Peter said to Jesus, it is good for us to be here, let us make three tabernacles ..." 40 days with God on the mountain; 3 years walking with Jesus.

The Shine: When Moses came down the mountain with the new tablets, "he was not aware that his face was radiant because he had spoken with the Lord" (Ex. 34:29). He had a shine on his face that wouldn’t quit. When the people saw him they were afraid to come near him. They backed away from him like he was "radioactive." Even Aaron, his brother, was afraid as well. Examine the people’s reaction to Moses’ shine as being your own if you were standing and living side by side with the Israelites of this story. What is going on in your heart at this moment? What is going on within your own spirit that helps you to identify with the people? Do you see, feel, the radiance?

Are you finding yourself afraid of it, being repulsed? Are you finding yourself convicted by it? Are you finding yourself in awe of it, being strangely, inexorably drawn to it? I find myself right now mostly in the midst of my fear. At first being repulsed for I am not used to witnessing the glory of God in the faces of those I encounter. I do not see
the glory of being in God's presence 'shining' on many of their faces. I am finding that I am convicted by my very own worrying of my own face not shining enough or at all. I find myself being convicted of putting on my 'veil' to cover my face because I feel I will repulse others. Why am I more desiring of building a tabernacle to/of my praise instead of just letting God what God is going to do through me and in spite me anyway?

Let Us Pray: God, where am I in this story? Am I running away repulsed by your glory afraid to bear witness to it because it shames me that it is not yet my own, that I am not spending sufficient time in your presence or running away in anger from the lack of your glory that I am trying so hard to see in others or feeling frustrated by having others not see or sufficiently commend the 'shining' in me as I spend my own time in your presence? Am I too afraid of repulsing others I feel called to bear witness to? Am I becoming too frustrated with my own expectations of what I feel should be the 'results' in your people from my daily extended time in your presence? Do I, like the
disciples, want to build more tabernacles of my own praise than just listen to you? Lord, help me remove the veil that covers your glory that I may shine for you alone!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0Yl14sFuzQ
Beauty Of Your Presence - Kim Walker-Smith & Skyler Smith - Home (2013) - Kim Walker 2013
www.youtube.com
Kim Walker-Smith & Skyler Smith - Home (2013) - Kim Walker 2013 01. Your Voice 02. Unstoppable

No comments:

Post a Comment