Saturday, June 22, 2013

Day 265: The Unconventional Move: Those Who Will Dare To Speak First

Day 265: The Unconventional Move: Those Who Will Dare To Speak First

Read: John 4:1 - 9

Today my friends it is the Lord and me who are welcoming each of you into a new day of health and wellness. After a long hot shower last night, extra strength Tylenol, a warm bed, and a dysfunctional alarm clock which allowed me to sleep beyond my regular hours, I praise my God for His 90% healing and your most welcome prayers. For the last three days it has been basically an unconscious blur of activity. I do not remember most of what happened just that my regular planned for days became an irregular conglomerate of randomness - when did I feel like eating, when did I feel I needed more medication or sleep. I so thank God for the reassuring voice of my wife.

All of us husbands and all of you husbands to be should take a little time and be ever so grateful for the true voice of the one or One that keeps you focused when you can not see straight or your day becomes garbled by too many of those mundane things. I do not know about you but I like to look at the people that seem to get written into the Bible. I look at our Gospel reading today at both the Samaritan woman and Jesus. Why did Jesus go to Samaria, where no Jew would dare to go? 'On his way to Galilee he 'had to' pass through Samaria.' Which seems more like a question mark to me as any Jew would go the long way around the bush around Samaria to avoid at all costs.

I pray that if we have learned anything at all about Jesus' ministry on earth, it is that there is never any journey that does not begin with an all out assault on conventional wisdom of the day. Everything and every journey came with a "lets see what we can turn upside down next" attitude and there was always somebody on the end of that journey whose life would be destined to be turned upside down too. The thing I beg you to notice, is that there were no smart phones back in the day that Jesus could've used to phone ahead: "Yo Samaritan woman. You do not know me. But I want you to be at Jacob's well at say - noonish. You know give me a drink." Who is gonna show?

Nope! Jesus just shows up in your life. Defies conventional cultural thingies and out of
nowhere, His voice speaks directly to you, square into your regular and unprepared life. Nothing is ever the same again. Who really knows why the Samaritan woman is at the well? Jesus does! Regular day? Irregular day? Who knows? Jesus does! The all glorious news is this, my friends, it did not matter what brought her to the well, what mattered is that Jesus was already there and waiting for her. And if we were the one at the well, He would be waiting there for us too. We do not notice Him? That is okay as Jesus already noticed us. Jesus will make the first move by the sound of His Voice.

Let Us Pray: Father, You brought the world into existence with Your Words. You defy conventional wisdom to speak in places where few people would dare to go, where still fewer people would dare to give You the time of day. You speak with the sound of your voice when we are too busy with our days and from amongst all the other voices that drone ceaselessly into our ears, Yours is the One that gets our attention. Why You would choose to so completely defy the ways and wisdom of man to speak even to me where I am, is incomprehensible to me. Why would You consider me worthy enough to defy all convention of the everyday man and come to my "Jacob's Well"? What is it about me that You so urgently feel the need to always make the very first move? Always speak the very first words I need to hear? Can you love me that much?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zulKcYItKIA
Tenth Avenue North - Worn
www.youtube.com
Music video by Tenth Avenue North performing Worn. Worn is the newest single off Tenth Avenue North's album, The Struggle. Facebook:
Tenth Avenue North - Worn
www.youtube.com
Music video by Tenth Avenue North performing Worn. Worn is the newest single off Tenth Avenue North's album, The Struggle. Facebook:

No comments:

Post a Comment