Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Day 248: Love's Simple Secret: Reclaiming Our Mornings

Day 248: Love's Simple Secret: Reclaiming Our Mornings

Read: Psalm 5

Every morning my alarm goes off at 530. The first thing I do is hit the snooze button. The second thing I usually do is hit the snooze button again. The third thing I do is get up, and give insulin to our cat. Why do I bother setting the alarm for one time and get up at another I do not know - force of the unbreakable habit I guess. Then I am at my table pondering what the Lord has in store for us by way of a devotion. It dawned on me - my morning routine and just how routine it is and how much of a routine it has become for me. It's uniquely mine. It sets up the rest of my day. It dawns on me now though about that first morning of creation and the routine God established for us all.

The Lord made us in His image. In the image of God we were created. God saw what He had created and declared it 'good'. From this morning of our birth, God created a fellowship - a shared relationship between Creator and creation. A 1:1 moment of the deepest intimacy possible. And I just sit here in kind of a complete awe about that the first thing on God's infinite mind that first morning of our existence was relationship. A relationship with little ole me and little ole you and every single little ole somebody in history. What does that do for you to know this? Maybe you have already realized and are basking in the awesomeness of it. First thing on that morning, God thought of me!

'In the morning, O Lord, You will hear my voice; In the morning I will order my prayer to You and eagerly watch' (3). I simply love these moments of revelation. It brings a smile that stretches ear to ear. But now it dawns on me. What about all those days and mornings that came before this one - the morning of revelation? How about our own spiritual lives first thing in the morning? Do we share this same commitment to preparing our 'first thing in morning' routines for fellowship and relationship as God? What comes first each day? Answer - the morning! When must our own preparation to face the daily challenges, battles of life begin - the morning! How do we prepare?

Even at this moment, in one of my busiest and most challenging seasons of my life, I am trying to make every effort at increasing my awareness of the all sufficient nature of God's grace. However, being human I miss the mark with alarming frequency, I'll hit the snooze button once too often. I will get behind in my routine, start skipping the little things that will probably end up mattering the most. Little things like looking up at the heavens seeking God my Creator and my Sustainer. I will push myself through such things without thinking twice. Too often I do not realize that I am now missing out. The challenge could be that I/we have been trying to assume too much control!

Let Us Pray: Dear Heavenly Father,

I thank You for this day. I thank You for my being able to awake once again, to see, and to hear this morning. Help me to start this day with a new attitude and plenty of gratitude. Let me make the best of each and every day to clear my mind so that I can hear from You. Please broaden my mind that I can accept all things. I pray that every eye that reads this knows there is no problem, circumstance, or situation greater than You. Every battle is in Your hands for You to fight. I pray that these words be received deep into the hearts of every eye that sees them and thru every mouth that confesses them willingly. This is my morning prayer... in the name of Jesus Christ, my Lord.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rkRpakpkDk

No comments:

Post a Comment