Saturday, June 23, 2012

Day 6: Our Joy, God's Joy -- Can they ever be the Same?

Day 6: Our Joy, God's Joy. Can the journey ever be the Same?

Read: Psalm 30:1-5, Psalm 33:1-4, 1 Chronicles 16:23-34, any of the 164 places in the NRSV Bible where the the word Joy can be found.

Today is a day for me to get a bit more serious and down to earth. There is a place in my heart this morning that I am having some issues trying to reach. For my heart is just a bit on the heavy side, my hip is giving me fits and my feet just seem to be getting heavier, bogging down as I try to move forward into the rest of my day. The place I am trying to arrive at is the place of Joy. It is a wonderful place to be and I have been there many many times. I have always enjoyed my lengthy stays there.

However, on this wonderful wonderful morning, I find myself being inexplicably slowed down by a heaviness in my heart and a weighty spirit slows my pace. My journey to the place of joy is hindered. I expect to get there eventually, but right now I am slowed down. Each morning I take a ready and steady journey down the path that leads to this place called Joy. I am happily married, I have a home to live in, I have more than enough food in the house to share with the wife, great pets and so much more. Each morning my heart and my spirit sing songs of prayer unto God. Except that today I am finding that Joy seems a bit further away than I remember.

I want to sing. In fact I really enjoy singing to God in the morning and throughout the day. But right now - my song is slow to develop, slow to reach my heart and my lips. I cannot really pin down any specific reason why my journey is slowed down. It just seems to be that way right now. I am sure that it will get better as I keep walking. I ask you, In your experience, Is there a pathway that leads to a place called Joy?

My wife has six cats. For the most part, these cats are quite healthy. Except for one which a cat she has named 'black' because well ... he is ... mostly black with white paws. He is an elderly cat about 11 or 12 years old. He was part of a littler of 4 that were rescued as kittens from a barn. Back in December 2011, we realized that he was losing serious weight. We took him to the Vet where the cat was diagnosed as Diabetic. He was prescribed a regimen of twice a day injections of Insulin. Gradually, over a period of 5 months or so, he regained his lost weight. While in the process of recovery, he was not always a very happy cat. He was tired and sluggish and his walking was not always the most steady. Repeated journeys back and forth to vet and we finally after repeated evaluations, we had the correct dosage of insulin.

Let me tell you a little about the cats twice daily journey to joy. We keep special moist food and the insulin in a small refrigerator in our office. First thing in the morning, the cat will come looking for us to let us know it is time for Joy. He will purr, and meow incessantly as he goes back and forth between us, the refrigerator, and the place where we prepare and administer the Insulin. As we are getting the syringe ready, spooning out a small portion of food, he is pacing back and forth purring and meowing all the way. He will put his paw out there and try to pull the hands preparing the Insulin and spooning the food toward him. He wants his joy!!! We put the food before him to distract him from the needle. He purrs and purrs and purrs as he digs into the food while we give him the Insulin. Then we pet him. All the time while he is eating and medicated, he just sings and sings his song of Joy. Sharon and I just watch and listen to him plastered with big smiles on our faces.

Can you think of any reason to sing joyfully this morning or at this very moment? I mean if something really bad just happened to you, a friend, a school mate, a co - worker or you just watched something on Television or online or wherever, heard something on the radio that created a barrier to your journey to the place of Joy? And I guess that my own heart and spirit is in such a place as I watched the video on you tube of the bus monitor being bullied by middle school boys and memories of my being in such a place as the bus monitor cascaded over me soaking me to the bone.

Such an event really made my journey to the place called Joy that much slower. It was truly very difficult to watch for me personally. It was also exceptionally difficult for a world to watch as there was a great outpouring of international rage against those who perpetrated this grievous act. I am going to guess that the bus monitor's journey to the place of her Joy was severely slowed down, each step more hurtful than the last. This tragic situation likely slowed many journeys to the place of Joy.

In view of this event and so many others that come before our senses: Is there any reason to be joyful whether you feel like it or not? Is there any reason, any rational thought process going through your heart or your spirit that convinces you that the journey down the path to Joy should wait 'for a better day', for the 'sun to shine again one day'? What about the heart of God? Surely His heart is seriously grieved by these events. Should He or will He slow down His journey to the place of Joy? Will He stop our journey while we patiently wait on Him to renew our strength as an eagle (Isaiah 40:31, Psalm 103:1-5)? Is it God's message that we should stop our Joy?

No! In fact this should be an emphatic NO! If we stop and wait until we feel the fullness of joyful praise before we continue our journey, we might be waiting an exceptionally long period. A period of standstill seemingly without end will only seem more so for there will always be something that will keep us from being joyful. Some will choose this path for which we can only pray about and seek opportunity to come along side of in support and encouragement. It is so very important to recognize when someone's journey to Joy is slowed down or even stopped altogether.

We can always learn a lesson from those who have gone before, the 'been there, done that' group of people. Their support through prayer and presence cannot and should not be underestimated. It is always a good time to sing a new song with somebody. God always enjoys a good 'joyful noise' from us. It makes His heart sing right along side of us. It adds to the divine chorus of angels that eternally sing His praises, who exist to forever, in joy, praise and worship the Lord of all creation. Our praise is simply acknowledging who and what God is. God is true Love. God is our strength and our true Joy (Nehemiah 8:10) We journey towards this place of Joy on the grounds of our faith in that it will forever be there. For we walk by faith and not by sight to a heavenly place of the purest kind of Joy. The awesome Joy who is God.

Once we get the full vision of who God is, (not overnight by any stretch or reach of our imagination a one day journey) what He has done for us, what awaits us, and how faithful His place of Joy will always be, we can find new reasons to remain positive and expectant even when we do not feel like it. Maturity to navigate the pathway to Joy grows ever stronger when we can authentically say: 'Weeping may linger for the night, but joy comes with the morning.' and from Psalm 16:11 "You show me the path of life. In your presence there is fullness of joy; in your right hand are pleasures for evermore."

Sometimes all it takes to be on the same path to Joy is an occasional Halleluiah. What Halleluiah's could we sing? What Halleluiah's can we bring before the Lord that the place called Joy shall be revealed to us, shall ever be placed before us?

Let us place ourselves along the pathway to Joy ....

Our hearts are funny things, O God, rising and falling at the oddest moments. We can be encouraged by the smile of a friend or complete stranger or we can find ourselves going down the pathway towards dejection when we see it rain.

We can become excited by the prospects of a wonderful meal, but dejected when we think about those all who have little or none to satisfy their needs. Yet there is always something stimulating and empowering about your presence, and when we become aware, when you reveal it to us, through our halleluiah moments, our hearts seem to glow and we find our spirits lifted up. Oh, let the Joy of the Lord be ours.

ABBA Father, we wish we lived more constantly in awareness of your path of Joy. It is ever before us yet we too often take another. Guide us toward an awareness of your kingdom. Guide us in the midst of distractions both great and small. Help us to be more sensitive to the needs of others in a world that suffers too much cruelty.

Embrace and Empower us now through your Holy Spirit to walk in the path that leads to everlasting Joy. Listen with Joy to our Halleluiah moments and let the heavenly chorus resound that all may come with loudest song and praise into the lives of our neighbors and finally into the eternal glory of your presence. Let your Joy be ours. Through Jesus Christ our Savior, the author and finisher of our faith. Amen

Amy Grant "Better than Halleluiah http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm5kx3xqmg0

Chuck Girard "Sometimes Alleluia http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGf916aTDXo
Chuck Girard - Sometimes Alleluia
www.youtube.com
From the album "Chuck Girard" (1975). A timeless beautiful song. 2nd Chapter of Acts were the back up singers. You can buy this album in mp3 format

No comments:

Post a Comment