Monday, October 14, 2013

Day 341: "So That Your Ox And Your Donkey May Rest,"

Day 341: "So That Your Ox And Your Donkey May Rest,"

Read: Exodus 23:10 - 12

Well, it has been a couple of weeks since I have written anything. It has been a tough couple of weeks to say the least. I have had to fight a hard bronchitis that kept me doing more coughing than sleeping. Sleep was coming at quite a premium so I just chose to take care of myself which was something quite the challenge to do. I enjoy immensely this opportunity to bring these insights to you from God's Hebrew Scriptures. Under the previous conditions which I had compelled myself to write, I had pushed myself hard each day to get up every morning to study and write. Well, sometimes the ox and the donkey need rest.

I think I have something, but I will be painting in broad strokes so if it does not apply to you then you can simply just pray for the rest of us because I believe it will eventually apply to many who will come to read here today. Not just for today, I would like to remind you of the importance of SABBATH REST, specifically it is the importance of taking one Sabbath day rest in seven as our Scripture text is recommending. I want to encourage you to give it a rest. I want to encourage you very strongly to give yourself permission to give yourself a much needed rest from the circumstances in your life you are trying so desperately hard to stay on top of.

I want you to prayerfully consider Exodus chapter 23 because it reveals to us the divinely practical wisdom of SABBATH rest as part of specific Old Testament covenant responsibilities. Since God rested after his work, he desires people to rest after their work. The biblical view of the Sabbath rest therefore strongly emphasizes God’s love and care for human beings. This recalls Jesus’ teaching that "the Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath" (Mark 2:27). Can you see the limitless depths of the love of God for us as expressed in the creation rhythm of work six days and rest the seventh? Now, to what limitless depths do you love you?

Our Lord is concerned about our physical and emotional well-being just as he is deeply concerned for our spiritual well-being. The land and the oxen and the donkey and the slave and indeed we ourselves are created in such a way that we need to rest one day in seven that we MAY BE REFRESHED. This is not advice that any one of us will be quick to listen to, probably even slower to actually take it to heart and just do it. So, to all those engaging readers out there who have ears to hear, choosing to go beyond just listening to God's, Word, my friendly, my non-binding, my non-legalistic, regular guy advice; Give an Ox (you) a REST!

Let Us Pray: I awaken this day in the Light of God’s sacred love. God, this day I renew my dedication to serve You by holding up this love as my highest value. Only God’s love is holy. Only God’s love is sacred. Let me renew my devotion to the sacred every day. Let me remember the sacredness of this moment and to treasure every moment as an open invitation to experience God’s unfailing love. Lord God, call out for me when I am tired. Lord God, shout out for me above the deafening din of my circumstances let me take my Sabbath's rest with You.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbLPdZldTRQ
Resting Place - Brian Doerksen (Lyrics)
www.youtube.com

No comments:

Post a Comment