Thursday, February 23, 2012

Living and Loving your Life - The Inward Man

Bible Readings: Matthew 6:19-21, 2Corinthians 4:7-20, 1Peter 3:1-7 (CEB)

We have entered the time of Lent. We are in a time of self reflection when we have an opportunity to peer inwardly and look outwardly at ourselves and ask "If I only had the next 40 days to put my affairs in order what would I do?" "How would I live?" "What would I dare to change about myself?" "What do I need to accept about who I am that can never change?" In short - Can I look at my own inner man? Do I place a higher value of my whole self? Where is the treasure I truly long to live and love my life for?    

It is easy in our world to lose touch with the value of the inner man. We are a society and a culture that orients around what others see as our store houses of accomplishments, and our successes. More value seems to be instinctively placed on the image we project outwardly while the inward parts of us become "a no-mans land." -- "If the people knew what was on the inside of me ... WOW!! I would be all alone."

It is hard for us to intentionally orient ourselves inward. Very seldom is it the place we really want to be. Onward and outward as the time worn saying goes. Onward and inward just does not sound like a very natural act for man to be involved in. The words just do not occur naturally in man's nature. It is hard for us to rank the "inward versus outer man" on the same scales that our society deems relevant. It come's down to us creating our own arbitrary scales of significance versus insignificance. Therefore, in order to feel significant, we instinctively focus on developing the outward persona.

However, we must carefully examine and consider Paul's words to the Corinthian Church. Verse 16 of our reading:  
                        16 So we aren’t depressed. But even if our bodies are breaking down on the outside, the person that we are on the inside is being renewed every day.        

Paul wrote to them that their bodies were breaking down on the outside. Their outward persona is steadily perishing day after day. Life is taking its toll and there was nothing to be done to stop it. No amount of 'working on it' was going to change that reality which was ever before their very eyes.

Have you ever taken the time to notice the youthful appearances of photos placed next to an obituary notice? I can remember seeing somebody as a teenager leaving great grandchildren to mourn their passing. We enjoy remembering the youthful appearances of our parents from their wedding pictures and before. It is even more joyful to see 'what was' when we remember their more aged appearance looking at them in their caskets. "Gee - they were young once - just like me."

Paul' s philosophy is similar to Jesus' philosophy: "19 “Stop collecting treasures for your own benefit on earth, where moth and rust eat them and where thieves break in and steal them. 20 Instead, collect treasures for yourselves in heaven, where moth and rust don’t eat them and where thieves don’t break in and steal them. 21 Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Matt. 6:19-21

The outward man and his possessions are subject to the winds of time and change. The inward man is going to live forever. The question is How exactly do we demonstrate that we value the inward man? How do we invest in that part of us that Jesus tells us is the most important for life?

We have to intentionally and purposefully enter into the front door of our spiritual lives and engage our inner self in a conversation, a down to earth dialog of change and transition. We need to move our hearts to where our minds have always been. Introduce one to the other in the spirit of God's love. "Yea though I walk through the darkest valley's, I will fear no evil. For God is wherever I go."

This Lent, my wife Sharon and I are going to try and work our way through the study and reading material from the movie "Courageous". It promises to be a great challenge and bring great blessing.
Please pray for us as we strive to move ourselves inward to where our treasure in heaven lives.
 

Be Strong and Courageous - Joshua 1:9


God Bless and may your journey to your inward self bless you and bless others.      

No comments:

Post a Comment